Suggestions for the expansion.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Saphira123456
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Suggestions for the expansion.

Post by Saphira123456 »

Continuing on from the comments of the most recent FFF post (https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-378 Elevated railroad tracks) regarding the elevated rail lines, and adding in one thing from the Quality post, I would like to suggest that both the elevated railroad tracks and the Recycler be moved to vanilla as Quality-of-Life features.

The QoL aspects of elevated railways are fairly obvious as laid out in the linked post, but the Recycler mentioned in the Quality update is also a QoL structure. I've often found that when upgrading buildings such as Inserters, Assemblers and Furnaces, the old building which you replaced doesn't go away. Instead it goes to your personal inventory where it sits there, obsolete and unable to be used elsewhere. This takes up inventory space, which you then need to clear by building a chest and shooting it until it is destroyed. Adding the Recycler to the vanilla game would allow for the items in question to be reverted back into their component parts, ready to be reused again and no longer taking up inventory space on your person.
Last edited by Saphira123456 on Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am dragonkin and proud of it. If you don't like furries or dragons, tough.

Blocking me will only prove me right.

I love trains, I love aircraft, I love space, I love Factorio.

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Suggestions for the expansion.

Post by Illiander42 »

Recycler is only needed in vanilla to reroll quality.

99% of "obsolete" buildings upgrade into something useful later or have continuing use. Only real things that clog you up are:

Burner miners, and you'll have <50 of those.
Obsolete armours.

If it really bothers you, put them in a chest and shoot it.

---

As for elevated rails, it's been confirmed that they're an expansion-dependent stand-alone mod. Buy the expansion and you can play current vanilla + elevated rails without the other things if you want.

Saphira123456
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Saphira123456 »

Illiander42 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:34 am
Recycler is only needed in vanilla to reroll quality.

99% of "obsolete" buildings upgrade into something useful later or have continuing use. Only real things that clog you up are:

Burner miners, and you'll have <50 of those.
Obsolete armours.

If it really bothers you, put them in a chest and shoot it.

---

As for elevated rails, it's been confirmed that they're an expansion-dependent stand-alone mod. Buy the expansion and you can play current vanilla + elevated rails without the other things if you want.
That's the thing. I want to recycle those burner miners and inserters so that their components can be reused. Waste not, want not. As for putting 'em in a chest and shooting it, that is exactly the kind of thing I don't want to do as that is wasteful. Those components can be used elsewhere, if they can be recycled.

And the whole point of this is to get the elevated rails and the recycler without buying the expansion. I am going to buy the expansion, but I want others to be able to use them without buying it. The reason being, these are quality of life features that should be vanilla, not vanilla-plus.

By suggesting that I buy the expansion to be able to use them, you are basically ignoring my OP and should not have posted in reply to it. Read, next time, before you post.

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

Saphira123456 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:19 am
And the whole point of this is to get the elevated rails and the recycler without buying the expansion.
Ok, so this was just a begging post.

Glad you admitted it.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Man there were literally 10 years worth of updates. Literally in a literal sense, it has been 10 years of content for 30 dollars. I think I paid a bit more, but whatever.
The idea that dlc and the contents will be paid was also mentioned more than a year ago. On which basis is it now a reasonable demand to move content from the expansion to the base game, for what purpose?
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

There’s plenty of recycling mods already for 1.1, just use one of those?
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Saphira123456 wrote:
I want to recycle those burner miners and inserters so that their components can be reused. Waste not, want not.
I can't give exacts but the current recycler recipe cost would mean if that was your only goal you're better off just putting them in a chest and shooting them. Crafting the recycler will be more expensive than the materials you would have gotten back from those things.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Saphira123456
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Saphira123456 »

Illiander42 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:55 am
Saphira123456 wrote:
And the whole point of this is to get the elevated rails and the recycler without buying the expansion.
Ok, so this was just a begging post.

Glad you admitted it.
Wrong. I just want the quality-of-life stuff that upgrades existing mechanics, such as elevated railroad tracks, and the recycler that allows individual parts to be broken down, to be moved into the free part of the expansion.

In fact, since you're clueless and continue to insult me and the developers of this game by continuing to insist I'm begging for free stuff, here's a bald-faced blatant way to tell whether I'm begging or not: If I were begging, I'd be asking for the ENTIRE expansion to be free, not little bits and pieces.

I'm not begging for free stuff. if I was, I wouldn't be bothering only going partway. If I were begging, I'd be asking for the space stuff, the quality mechanics, the whole enchilada to be free. Since I'm not asking for everything to be free, only the things that would improve life for vanilla players, I'm not begging.

Continuing to insist that I'm begging is outright insulting, and I will have none of it. I'd rather be kicked out of the game entirely, I'd rather be permanently banned from playing, than EVER beg for free stuff from these developers.

So screw you, Illiander42, and the horse you rode in on. And that goes for every single person on this forum who would EVER say I'm begging for stuff.
Last edited by Saphira123456 on Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Saphira123456
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Saphira123456 »

Rseding91 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:12 pm
Saphira123456 wrote:
I want to recycle those burner miners and inserters so that their components can be reused. Waste not, want not.
I can't give exacts but the current recycler recipe cost would mean if that was your only goal you're better off just putting them in a chest and shooting them. Crafting the recycler will be more expensive than the materials you would have gotten back from those things.
It's still materials returned. As I said, waste not, want not - every little bit counts when you don't have infinite resources. If I can save some materials by recycling them, then that's less I have to mine.

Even in video games, I love the Three R's - Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
Last edited by Saphira123456 on Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saphira123456
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Saphira123456 »

Xorimuth wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:19 pm
There’s plenty of recycling mods already for 1.1, just use one of those?
I already do, it'll just be nice to have a vanilla recycling machine.

It's a big component as to why I say I'm not begging, though some ABSOLUTE IDIOTS don't care and won't take a hint.

I swear some of those people are autistic as they seem to have trouble with context clues, such as me deliberately not asking for the entire expansion to be free, only certain parts of it that upgrade existing mechanics and make life easier in vanilla. Those are massive hints that I'm not begging for free stuff.

Being autistic is OK. Not taking the hint and realizing that I'm not begging, is not OK. It's insulting. One might even think they're trying to troll me.
Last edited by Saphira123456 on Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saphira123456
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Saphira123456 »

aka13 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:20 am
Man there were literally 10 years worth of updates. Literally in a literal sense, it has been 10 years of content for 30 dollars. I think I paid a bit more, but whatever.
The idea that dlc and the contents will be paid was also mentioned more than a year ago. On which basis is it now a reasonable demand to move content from the expansion to the base game, for what purpose?
These specific little bits and pieces I'm asking for, are quality of life upgrades that would be most useful to those that are in vanilla as well as those who are in the expansion. That is the purpose behind my request - to make life that little bit easier for those who play vanilla, regardless of whether they buy the DLC or not.

You don't hide quality-of-life improvements for existing content behind a paywall. Making us pay for the space stuff is OK, that's entirely new gameplay. Making us pay for simple quality-of-life upgrades to existing content is different.

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

Saphira123456 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:53 pm
In fact, since you're clueless and continue to insult me and the developers of this game by continuing to insist I'm begging for free stuff, here's a bald-faced blatant way to tell whether I'm begging or not: If I were begging, I'd be asking for the ENTIRE expansion to be free, not little bits and pieces.
You're seriously trying to make the argument "I'm not asking for billions, just thousands, so I'm not begging"?
Saphira123456 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:10 pm
I swear some of those people are autistic
Guilty as charged. Doesn't stop you from being wrong.

And so nice of you to pretend to rollback on your ablism \s
Saphira123456 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:16 pm
Making us pay for the space stuff is OK, that's entirely new gameplay.
So are elevated rails and the recycler. You can tell, because they're new.

QoL stuff is things like the new robot AI. Which we are getting without the expansion.

---

Also, see how I responded to your multiple angry posts with a single one?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Illiander42 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:59 pm
Saphira123456 wrote:
[Koub] Moderator-me here : If you want to have an argument together, feel free to do it privately. Past this point, anything directed towards the other will be moderated (same thing for whoever would like to join the fight)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Saphira123456
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Saphira123456 »

Illiander42 wrote:

You're seriously trying to make the argument "I'm not asking for billions, just thousands, so I'm not begging"?

---
No, I'm making the argument "I'm not asking for the ENTIRE expansion to be free, so I'm not begging for a free expansion."

Also, you're now on my foe list.
Last edited by Saphira123456 on Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saphira123456
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Saphira123456 »

Illiander42 wrote:

So are elevated rails and the recycler. You can tell, because they're new.

QoL stuff is things like the new robot AI. Which we are getting without the expansion.
Rails in general are not new. So no, elevated rails are not new gameplay.

If your example were true, then robots (which you are calling QoL) would also be new gameplay and by your own logic would not be included in the DLC.

Welcome to my foe list. Anything you say to me will immediately be discarded as it does not matter.

Enjoy being ignored, Mr. Troll.

Saphira123456
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Saphira123456 »

Koub wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:06 pm
Illiander42 wrote:
Saphira123456 wrote:
[Koub] Moderator-me here : If you want to have an argument together, feel free to do it privately. Past this point, anything directed towards the other will be moderated (same thing for whoever would like to join the fight)
Apologies Koub. Also, with respect, your post is REALLY hard to read.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Elevated rails add new capabilities and functionality that was not there before.

Recycler is similar, but was added expressly for supporting mass manufacturing in Quality, not for those few items you replace that have no other use (which, btw, you mention assemblers, but both Assembler 1 & 2 are used in the construction of the next tier, and Assembler 3 is the highest).

Robot changes are to their underlying AI to improve existing capabilities and functionality.

As such, I disagree and do not support the premise of this suggestion that elevated rails are just another QoL change and should be included in the base game for 2.0.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

TheKillerChicken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheKillerChicken »

I always wanted a recycler, but that is what a modifier is for. I hate putting depreciated items into crates and destroying them. I recycle my boilers and burner drills and furnaces with a mod. I have to admit, I think Satisfactory when it comes to resources. Sure Satisfactory is an infinite resource pool, but I still try to recycle there with modifiers. I also do not understand why the OP is being attacked. Can't we all just get along and be happy? They made a valid request about a recycler.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Maybe a more appropriate title would be "The recycler should be available without the quality feature". Because that seem to me the request.

The recycler was announced as part of the quality feature, so wether or not you want the quality items , if you want the recycler you will need to activate the feature, while some players may find it useful to have the recycler for obsolete item, without the quality feature.

I can understand the argument because for one person it seems like asking for a another way to condition the mechanism in the expansion = not begging, just give the recycler not with the quality feature as a regular item if you have bought the expansion already what harm can it do ? let me enjoy the product the way i want, or express it on the forum.

But for another it seems like asking for the expansion content be available without the expansion ( for free despite hard work and plenty of already free upgrade during the last 10 years or so ) , as for the previously described purpose of recycling obsolete item mods already exists and it's not worth changing the expansion as envisionned for such niche case; As if all features presented in the FFF are to be made into vanilla factorio one by one, then there is no incentive for players to buy the expansion and for Wube to continue making good video games.

both strong point of view

i've been using mods personnally https://mods.factorio.com/mod/reverse-factory .

I think it's too early to suggest things for the expansion. In the FFF with the space platform there were some sort of crushers entity, maybe it can get rid of obsolete item in less-recycling-friendly way, crushing everything into elemental bits or iron copper and stone.

The real trouble (imo) with the reverse-factory mod is that sometimes with some mods adding high productivity you can create positive loop generating things out of recycling, with the changes of productivity and research announced in the FFF there may be unforeseen consequences to split the recycler away from the quality feature.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Recycler
Moving the recycler out of the quality mod: I don't really care. It's useless without quality imo, but if you want to use it without quality then just enable the mod and just don't produce quality modules. Or use a player-made mod that recycles for those who don't buy the expansion (are these people that will actually exist???).
Saphira123456 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:54 pm
Rseding91 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:12 pm
Saphira123456 wrote:
It's still materials returned. As I said, waste not, want not - every little bit counts when you don't have infinite resources. If I can save some materials by recycling them, then that's less I have to mine.
You didn't understand what Rseding91 was saying then. All the resources you will get back from recycling everything obsolete isn't enough to cover the research and crafting of 1 recycler. You can't afford recycling, especially with finite resources. If you want to recycle for a profit you need to do it on a large scale, but Factorio without quality mod doesn't really give you a reason to mass produce stuff that you can't really upgrade or use later. How many thousands of burner miners are you producing really?
Bridges
And on the topic of rail bridges, saying that it is QoL without new gameplay is just false. It completely changes how throughput of crossings is handled, especially on larger scales. Saying it doesn't have new gameplay only makes sense if all your rail use is with tiny low throughput networks. Then the change is maybe an aesthetic change with some possibility of building over water. Nothing is a new feature if something as big as this is just "QoL".

And implementing it is more than just graphics (and with how amazing they look, that's a lot of effort already put into them) and if you think they should just spend all that effort and then give it away for free, it doesn't really make sense. It's too much work for an optional feature. And the rail works great as it is already, it's not like it's unusable without this feature. They have spent a lot of effort making rails more beautiful, more angles for free now, fun to use, more features for scheduling, better pathing, limits for stations, a rail planner etc. Many of these took a lot of work as well, but many targeted the "incomplete" features, the annoyances you encounter. And I hope they update the base game for more control of trains and scheduling, without additional purchases.

But single level rail is now a fun game, there are enjoyable challenges making intersections with single level rail. A puzzle aspect, if you will. Playing without bridges just to experience these challenges is something people will do, to not deprive themselves of this fun challenge.

If they had made train stop limit feature or something similar an expansion mod only feature I could agree that it was a QoL thing that all Factorians who purchased the base game should have. But bridges is a completely different kind of feature, so I will vehemently disagree with your opinion.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”