Mods should always ask for sync when setup differs

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Mods should always ask for sync when setup differs

Post by Zaflis »

Currently when your mod setup is different from the mods you used when saving some game, it will normally ask if you want to sync the mods with the save. But there is a less talked about case when it is not asked; when you already have everything enabled that the save had PLUS some new mods.

I had a save made without any mods at all, then other day tried some some things with merged chests mod and at different day loaded vanilla save again. After several hours of playing i realize that merged chests is still enabled, it didn't ask if i want to sync to "no mods" setup before loading it. I have also replicated the issue a second time later to make sure it wasn't just something i accidentally ignored.

Anyway all the mod adds is a button in quickbar and mod info is not baked in savefile so after loading the game again it was like the mod had never existed even Steam-achievement-wise. But with some different more gamechanging mod things could have been drastically different. Mods can make changes to the world itself.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Mods should always ask for sync when setup differs

Post by Qon »

Zaflis wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:48 am
Currently when your mod setup is different from the mods you used when saving some game, it will normally ask if you want to sync the mods with the save. But there is a less talked about case when it is not asked; when you already have everything enabled that the save had PLUS some new mods.

I had a save made without any mods at all, then other day tried some some things with merged chests mod and at different day loaded vanilla save again. After several hours of playing i realize that merged chests is still enabled, it didn't ask if i want to sync to "no mods" setup before loading it. I have also replicated the issue a second time later to make sure it wasn't just something i accidentally ignored.

Anyway all the mod adds is a button in quickbar and mod info is not baked in savefile so after loading the game again it was like the mod had never existed even Steam-achievement-wise. But with some different more gamechanging mod things could have been drastically different. Mods can make changes to the world itself.
"Mod info is not baked into savefile"
What does this mean? What mods you save with is always stored. It doesn't matter if the mod gives you all achievments on load and infinite infinity chests or if it does nothing at all except having a name and being installed.

If you reload a save without mods, without mods enabled, then obviously nothing of what you did with mods enabled loaded from that save matters. As long as you don't overwrite it with mods.
And you can't lose the achievements you already got. And you can get mod achievements with mods, saved separately.

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

As someone who uses creative mode for blueprint designing: Seconding.

Do the check to see if we're adding mods to a game. We can override if we want to.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

Qon wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:28 am
"Mod info is not baked into savefile"
What does this mean? What mods you save with is always stored. It doesn't matter if the mod gives you all achievments on load and infinite infinity chests or if it does nothing at all except having a name and being installed.

If you reload a save without mods, without mods enabled, then obviously nothing of what you did with mods enabled loaded from that save matters. As long as you don't overwrite it with mods.
And you can't lose the achievements you already got. And you can get mod achievements with mods, saved separately.
This is a bit offtopic, but the savefile only contains mods you used "in last session". Not "forever". I did save that file with the mod included, then turned off all mods and loaded it again (and saved again). It restored the steam achievements listing, not mod achievements. There is no trace of mods ever existing in that save anymore. I know it was Steam list because i have 100% in it, my modded list is less complete.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”