Linear serial blueprints

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Niizuki
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Linear serial blueprints

Post by Niizuki »

My idea is a different by similar take on recursive blueprints, but I do think there is a difference.

The core of the idea is to make a blueprint capable of defining its successor on one of its edges. This successor can either be this blueprint itself (thus making it recursive), or some different, even a set of possible successors. When this linear blueprint is placed, it produces UI element (lets say an arrow), which can be activated, and the successor blueprint is placed.
Given the nature of Factorio, it should be feasible to have simple linear blueprint which goes in one direction, and can be rotated when placed first, but this idea could be expanded so that the set of successor blueprints contains options not only for linear placing, but also for turning, and diagonal placing. If expanded in this way, it could be used for planning railways through global map interface by drawing a line from starting point to an endpoint, and placing the blueprint along this line.

computeraddict
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Linear serial blueprints

Post by computeraddict »

Linear tileable blueprints are definitely a thing. Take a look at the size and snap settings in the blueprint creation menu if you haven't already.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Linear serial blueprints

Post by mmmPI »

Sounds like Domino to me.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”