Side- and multi-lenght Inserters

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

GTMasterMan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Side- and multi-lenght Inserters

Post by GTMasterMan »

I would like to see a feature where you can change the direction of the output of Inserters to the left or right (e.g. by scrolling the mouse wheel). Additionally (mabye by shift+scrolling) It would be cool to be able to have long Inserters that can vary the lenght of their input an output, e.g. input: 2 Blocks, output: one Block. With them both combined (for instance a right facing long inserter with an input of one Block) the factories you build could be compressed and made better.
P.S. I know there is mods for that but it would be cooler as a feature.

happymoep
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Side- and multi-lenght Inserters

Post by happymoep »

In my opinion it is better to not have every option of customization here. You need to think about the design of factories a lot in early to mid-game and it takes some thinking to come up with unique compressed factory designs. Having every option for inserters sounds like a thing that should always be an optional mod. The end-game takes away a lot of this planning already by utilizing logistic robots. You're left with one requester chest for input and one passive provider chest for output for each and every factory :/

Just my opinion, no hate ;)

imajor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by imajor »

happymoep wrote:In my opinion it is better to not have every option of customization here. You need to think about the design of factories a lot in early to mid-game and it takes some thinking to come up with unique compressed factory designs. Having every option for inserters sounds like a thing that should always be an optional mod. The end-game takes away a lot of this planning already by utilizing logistic robots. You're left with one requester chest for input and one passive provider chest for output for each and every factory :/

Completely agree.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hihi. Every 3 month the question for new inserters. :)

I'm sorry for that; Fact is, the devs have made the inserters extremley modable, but didn't use that. This is now so about 2 years.
The reason is, that the game is in big parts a puzzle. If you have more possibilities for the inserters the puzzles are reduced. The complexity rises, cause you cannot see for example with one view, how this special insertert works.

So I would say the chance, that this is added to vanilla is nearly zero.

And as always: there are mods, that enable such usage:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 93&t=14360 Cursed PI
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 93&t=13525 Side Inserters
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

happymoep wrote:In my opinion it is better to not have every option of customization here. You need to think about the design of factories a lot in early to mid-game and it takes some thinking to come up with unique compressed factory designs. Having every option for inserters sounds like a thing that should always be an optional mod. The end-game takes away a lot of this planning already by utilizing logistic robots. You're left with one requester chest for input and one passive provider chest for output for each and every factory :/

Agree 100%
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”