Marking mining area

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Marking mining area

Post by Nova »

It would be nice to see the area where other miner already mine, when we want to build another miner.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Marking mining area

Post by rk84 »

I think it would look messy with power areas and I don't have any problems with placing miners. 0-2 tiles between miners and its good to go.
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]Fluid handling expansion
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express
Autofill: The torch has been pass to Nexela

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

This have been done for 0.7.5, it is shown when you are building the mining drill or selecting it. Check it out :)

rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by rk84 »

haha. I will update tomorrow. :)
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]Fluid handling expansion
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express
Autofill: The torch has been pass to Nexela

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

kovarex wrote:This have been done for 0.7.5, it is shown when you are building the mining drill or selecting it. Check it out :)
I mean see the area of EVERY mining drill already placed. To see which area is not already covered or double covered. ;)
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

thats an interesting idea, not somthing that i think about as i can usually recognise spots which aren't getting mined almost instantly, i might be easier because i spread my miners out so that there are always 2 tiles between each mine, no more no less. any break in the pattern is a dead spot which needs to be fixed, OR a redundant spot, which needs to be fixed.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

The problem is: There are power poles and belts between the mining drills, moreover the ore field is not rectangular.
Greetings, Nova.

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

Nova wrote:The problem is: There are power poles and belts between the mining drills, moreover the ore field is not rectangular.

true enough, though i tend to simply not see the power poles unless
A)im specifically dealing with them
or B) they're the big ones/substations

power poles and belts aren't an issue as they simply become part of the pattern, the mines go out in a grid and then the poles get placed in specific points relatve to the mines, same thing with the belts.

as for the deposit shape, i tend to lean more towards the ascetic pattern of the mine first rather that practicality i.e. my mines usually look like you placed the pattern down and then simply removed the mines which didn't have anything to dig out.

i don't even know if the way i do things make sense, its just how my OCD tendency come's out and influences my building style

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

Since the amount of ore tiles mine covers doesn't affect the mine spped but only the maximal amount of ore thet mine will mine it is perfectly Ok to place a mine over just a few ore blocks.
So I suggest using the simpliest pattern for it.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I place mines dependend on density of the mine-field. In the inner the mines usually have more ore. You can see that before placing. So I place the miners eventually directly besides or leave maximum 2 tiles space. As result the mines at the borders are not so fast empty and the inner mines are faster empty, which means I have a more constant flow.

For big fields I try to make a setup like here https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... orage5.jpg . What I mean is, that I have straight belt-lines - they are the borders of my layout - and then I try to fill up with miners from both sides. The advantage of this layout is, that it can be used directly for a train-station (there where the chests are, but differently directions.

For smaller resource-fields I don't mind, any layout is good. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”