Plantable trees

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Plantable trees

Post by SilverWarior »

Hi!
I apologize if this might have already been suggested.

Now since polution has been implemented and trees reduce the polution levels I think it would be nice if we could strategicaly plant trees around our base to reduce the polution spread.
There should be several different sizes of tres (sapling, young, mature). Mature tree gives full amount of wood and posibly sapling, young gives partial amount of wood, sapling gives none.
Trees should take quite some time to grow (about 10 or more days)

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Plantable trees

Post by FreeER »

While I agree that this should be in vanilla eventually, the Treefarm does all of this currently (except for getting saplings from trees, you turn wood into germlings that can be planted)
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

I know about Treefarm mod. But what I unlike about that mood is how unrealistic it looks (tree farms are not the same as forest is).

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

SilverWarior wrote:how unrealistic it looks
I assume you are talking about how the farms grow trees randomly (within the farm area) instead of straight rows and they grow fairly quickly, and if so, you're right tree 'farms' are not typically unorganized/random. But like I mentioned, it adds the germlings so that you can manually plant trees yourself (in any pattern you like), you could also mention it in the mod's topic and see if the author is willing to change it lol, it may well be that others will agree that it doesn't look natural.
Anyways, I think that's pretty much all I have to say, I agree but it's not a priority since there is a mod that does decently and there is another way(s) planned to control pollution, other than that more trees would be interesting (especially if they had more uses, apple for food, rubber for recipes, etc).
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

There was some mod that enabled planting trees, I didn't have time to test it and now I don't remember where did I see it.

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

There are actually two, the treefarm mod, that lets you plant normal trees, and my mod that lets you plant special trees.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”