Player Inventory / Quick Bar UX Suggestions

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

yngndrw
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Player Inventory / Quick Bar UX Suggestions

Post by yngndrw »

These all come under the same general category and are related so I thought I'd just make one thread with a few ideas.

1) Ability to clear a "mask" from a slot in the quick bar - You don't seem to be able to currently.

2) If you change the "mask" item in a quick bar slot, the existing items should be returned to your main inventory and any items that you have for the new "mask" should be brought into your new quick bar slot. (If you clear the "mask", it should just empty the slot.)

3) Logistics bots seem to sometimes put replacement items in my inventory rather than re-filling the quick bar slot. I think it mainly happens when I have an item in my hand and I'm placing them, the logistics bots don't realise that they should be returned to the quick bar slot.

4) In extension to #3, quick bar slots should be automatically filled from the inventory. (And vehicle if you're in one)

5) It would be nice if there was a second quantity on the quick bar showing the total number available.

6) If you have an item in your hand and you click on the same type of item in your quick bar (But a different stack) it should put the stack from your hand back into your inventory. (Filling the quick bar as appropriate, see #4.)

7) If you pick up something from the quick bar and then click a different item type in your quick bar, it should return the first item to its original slot. (Like when you select via the number keys.) This should behave as #6 and fill the inventory if you would end up with more than a stack in your quick bar slot.

8) If you pick up something from the quick bar and then click a different item type in your inventory, it should return the first item to its original slot. (See #7)

I'm sure I've missed a few but will add as I remember them.

On a side note, I'd love to have logistics slots for vehicles.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Player Inventory / Quick Bar UX Suggestions

Post by daniel34 »

0) Quick Bar = Toolbelt

1) Press CTRL + middle-click to do so.

2) If you clear the mask, you can use CTRL + middle-click and then CTRL + left-click (you can do that without letting go of CTRL) to transfer that item back to your main inventory.

5) There is an existing suggestion: Toolbelt tooltip update which also discusses other numbers on your list (e.g. auto-refill).

6) If I have an item stack in my hand (from the main inventory or another stack) and click on a stack in the toolbelt, it will fill that stack and leave the remaining in my hand. (Press Q to move them to the inventory, see number 9).

7) How would you change the order of items in the toolbelt in that case?

I'd like to add number 9) because you don't seem to be aware of it.
9) To quickly put items in your hand back to the toolbelt or inventory you press Q.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

yngndrw
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Player Inventory / Quick Bar UX Suggestions

Post by yngndrw »

Thanks for the responses.

0) Quick bar sounded weird when I wrote it, but it didn't twig that it was the wrong name until you just pointed it out !

1) Didn't know this, thanks will be handy.

2) This is certainly easier than I thought it was, but it would still be nice if you could just select a new mask in one step without having to do this.

5) Didn't see this this thread. The extension is helpful but it would be more useful if the numbers were always displayed for each item in the toolbelt along with the current stack size. Clearly there's a difference in opinion on the auto-filling, but maybe this should be an option. (With the default being enabled as more people seem to want that ?)

6/9) Didn't realise about !, that will be helpful so thanks. It would still be nice if you could just click and not get the warning about the item being incompatible with the mask though. (See #7)

7) It shouldn't change the order, perhaps an example is best: Let's say you have belts in slot 1 and inserters in slot 2. (Both full stacks of 50 and set as masks) I select the belts by clicking on them and then place down 10, I now have 40 in my hand. (Which would be auto-filled back up to 50 if I had spares in my inventory, see #3 and #4) If I then click on the inserters with the belts still in my hand, as I previously selected the belts from the toolbelt slot 1 they should be returned to slot 1 and the inserters should now be in my hand. This can only work if you originally selected the item from the toolbelt.

As an extension to #7, if you originally selected an item from the inventory and then click on a toolbelt slot which has a different mask, the first item could be returned to the inventory. (But this can only work if the toolbelt slot has a mask, if it doesn't then they should be swapped as they are now.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”