[0.13] Allow trains to send a circuit signal

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

rnorris
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.13] Allow trains to send a circuit signal

Post by rnorris »

I've seen it suggested that trains should be able to send their contents to the circuit network via a train stop, but I haven't seen anyone suggest that trains also be able to send an arbitrary signal (E.g. send 100 of signal A) to the circuit network via the train stop. This would enable the circuit network to uniquely identify a train once it stops at a station, assuming the train is configured to send a unique signal or combination of signals.

A use case I envision for this is a dynamic loading station. As a train rolls up to a dynamic loading station, the circuit network identifies the train as train A32 (signal A with magnitude 32). The circuit network knows that this train is supposed to be loaded with electronic circuits, so it sets the requester chests at the station to request circuits and load up the train. Once the train's wait condition is satisfied, the train rolls out. The station, now lacking any train-specific signals, empties any remaining resources back into the logistics network and waits for the next train. Train B21 comes next and requests copper plates, which gets filled in the same way, at the same station.

If one wants to have a huge logistics storage facility with a wide variety of items, this would give a convenient (and fun!) way of filling that role with a few smart stations instead of stamping down dozens of stations to cater to each item type.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.13] Allow trains to send a circuit signal

Post by Neotix »

I suggested that viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26359

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”