Logistics bots optimization (researchable?)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

cappie
Inserter
Inserter

Logistics bots optimization (researchable?)

Post by cappie »

pre-scriptum: Please note that I have NO idea how the order queue'ing is done for the logistics bots, so please forgive my ignorance, devs.. you glorious bastards and lords of the code!

Logistics bots' behavior should be changed (optionally by a researched thing) to change their behaviour from this:

1) logistics bot A gets request by player to bring the player some iron plates
2) logistics bot B gets request by player to remove some items from the player's logistics trash slots
3) 2 bots fly to player; 1 full, 1 empty
4) 2 bots fly from player; 1 empty and 1 full

If bots could contain 2 separate commands of both the 'dropoff' and 'retrieve' variety, it would save us HALF the bots in the air... resulting in this behaviour:

1) logistics bot A brings the player some iron plates
2) logistics bot A also receives order to retrieve some items from the player's logistics slot and responds to that.
3) logistics bot A flies to player, drops of stuff and picks up stuff.

If the bot can't drop off the item, it can't pickup the logistics trash either, which adds some added difficulty for the player.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Logistics bots optimization (researchable?)

Post by ssilk »

I think: The first behavior will be in most cases faster.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by <NO_NAME> »

The second behavior could be faster if you don't have enough logistic robots. Let's say you have 100 items requested, 100 items in trash slots and only 100 logistic robots. To be honest, they will may act like it is described is second behavior, even with current AI. However, this is not guaranteed and situation is even more complicated, when robots have also other task like requester chests.
When there is enough robots, the first behavior is faster, but also more energy consuming, because more robots need to fly.

A combination of both behaviors could be a solution. Robots would act differently, dependent on how much of them is available.

Beside of all I've written, I think that the current AI is the best solution. It doesn't need a lot of processing power. This is no good to save a few robots when the price is an unplayable game, because it can't keep up with real time.
I am a translator. And what did you do for Factorio?
Check out my mod "Realistic Ores" and my other mods!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

<NO_NAME> wrote:The second behavior could be faster if you don't have enough logistic robots.
Yes, if you are in the very early stage of robots I agree. If you are a bit later and already have 100 or a bit more I'm really not that sure. :)

Reason: Human can think only in short context, and then the assumption is correct: A bit smarter algorithm would optimize the robots in a way, that they don't go so much useless ways.

But the situation is a lot more complex. And if you try that example just with 8 bots more you will find situations, where it is not so clear anymore if the smarter algorithm is really faster or not, cause in the meanwhile the others do other things. You explain this also:
Let's say you have 100 items requested, 100 items in trash slots and only 100 logistic robots. To be honest, they will may act like it is described is second behavior, even with current AI. However, this is not guaranteed and situation is even more complicated, when robots have also other task like requester chests.
When there is enough robots, the first behavior is faster, but also more energy consuming, because more robots need to fly.
Let's see it so: It's the only possible behavior, cause a more clever behavior will cost a lot more CPU. :)
A combination of both behaviors could be a solution. Robots would act differently, dependent on how much of them is available.
I think this is not needed, cause this "lack in smart behavior" could also be seen as part of the game. In other words: If everything in Factorio would work perfectly smooth it would be a boring game. :D

I mean it so: The robots should not be so stupid, that a player looses the emergence. What the player should see is the swarm-intelligence of the robots, and not the "single-behavior" of 10 or so.

Beside of all I've written, I think that the current AI is the best solution. It doesn't need a lot of processing power. This is no good to save a few robots when the price is an unplayable game, because it can't keep up with real time.
Exactly: By adding number of bots you "fix" it. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”