Make the water usefull?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Odynius
Inserter
Inserter

Make the water usefull?

Post by Odynius »

Right now, Water is just something that is in your ways, in best case it protects you from biters. But what if there were ships, so you can settle small islands or maybe even build platforms with oil pumps for off-shore industry? Additionally, it would add so much possibilities for different ship types! Cargo ships, frigates, speed boats, swimming modular bridges etc. But i would be happy with any kind of ship, so there is an entity for that.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Make the water usefull?

Post by bobingabout »

Not to put your idea down or anything, but water does have it's uses already. With an offshore pump it provides an ingredient that is used in power production, and oil processing, amongst possible other things I can't remember right now.

I do agree though that unless you actually want an offshore pump right there where the water is... then it's more of an issue than it is something useful.

I guess that's why landfill was added, so that it is less annoying.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Odynius
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Odynius »

Well, I'm really into those vehicles, because they open up totally new possibilites for you. For example, i installed the Raven mod, which gives you a pretty nice aircraft. Now I can spend my time building airports all over the world. If there were ships you could also build industrial ports or ferry networks.

Syrchalis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Syrchalis »

Landfills - if water is in the way.

Otherwise water is a natural wall against biters that they can't destroy. I love being on an island, if it's big enough with enough resources, because you can eventually just wipe out the biters and be left alone if you don't choose to be attacked.

Odynius
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Odynius »

This board is for NEW ideas, isn't it? Of course, I know, that landfill exists. And i do use it. But it's a waste of potential not to use the water in terms of gameplay. If you want to play without being attacked you could as well play in peaceful mode...

What I want to say: I would like to sail the 7 fucking seas with a boat. Nothing more, nothing less. Gosh ...

vtx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vtx »

You are lucky there's a mod with ship https://mods.factorio.com/mods/icedevml/Ships

Have fun !!

Yoyobuae
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Yoyobuae »

Fish. Fish need water (unless you landfill it xD).

Odynius
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Odynius »

vtx wrote:You are lucky there's a mod with ship https://mods.factorio.com/mods/icedevml/Ships

Have fun !!
I saw this one, but it's version 0.13 ... i think it won't work.

EDIT: okay, with a simple change of the info.json i made work. However, this thread is for ideas to implement in the game and answers like "there is a mod for it" are - as said in the announcements thread - not wished in this discussions

To qoute En Dotter
just gotta make one little comment. In most of the games that involve crafting and management i hear a lot of responses that sound like "there is a mod" or "it is easy to mod it by changing this and that" and other similar statements. While i really appreciate any kind of help, most of the time i suggest things that i think would benefit the original (vanilla) game. Don't get me wrong, but answers involving mods and modding are not something i am looking for. I play mods after i get "fed up" with the vanilla to spice things up and stuff like that. I suppose thats just a play style preference after all.

vtx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vtx »

Odynius wrote:
vtx wrote:You are lucky there's a mod with ship https://mods.factorio.com/mods/icedevml/Ships

Have fun !!
I saw this one, but it's version 0.13 ... i think it won't work.

EDIT: okay, with a simple change of the info.json i made work. However, this thread is for ideas to implement in the game and answers like "there is a mod for it" are - as said in the announcements thread - not wished in this discussions

To qoute En Dotter
just gotta make one little comment. In most of the games that involve crafting and management i hear a lot of responses that sound like "there is a mod" or "it is easy to mod it by changing this and that" and other similar statements. While i really appreciate any kind of help, most of the time i suggest things that i think would benefit the original (vanilla) game. Don't get me wrong, but answers involving mods and modding are not something i am looking for. I play mods after i get "fed up" with the vanilla to spice things up and stuff like that. I suppose thats just a play style preference after all.
I totally understand you but unfortunately it's not how this forum work. You should read this stickt thread in the sub-section I want to make suggestions, but I got links to mods!! :(

In other words if your idea allready exist in mods there a better chance to be implemented in vanilla game if people use it than talking about abstract concept to be implemented from the scratch by the devs.

Odynius
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Odynius »

Yeah, that's why I'm gonna use it. And modding is a real cool thing, I felt very proud when i managed to make my own one. But still ... those features in the vanilla game would be nice, because not only would it save resources (factorio doesn't eat that much, but when i look at skyrim with 200+ installed mods, that's another story) but also give a lot possibilities to modders.

I do appreciate it very much, when developers let the community mod whatever they want. However, that shouldn't be an excuse to not enhance the game, because there is allready a mod for it. I'm sure there are a whole lot of players who just don't know mods, or can't use them, because they never heard of a .zip-file...

thetoolcrafter
Inserter
Inserter

Post by thetoolcrafter »

Ik what you mean dude, the water is annoying.Right now the coast is plenty useful enough, but they really should add something for the middle of lakes etc., For example oil and a new enemy.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=14024 Travel over Water: Boats, Ships, Canus / Bridges / Tunnels

See also viewtopic.php?f=80&t=25728 More Water Usages (Aquafarm, enemies, oil riggs...)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

vtx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vtx »

Boat could also be use for transportation and could work on same level as train.

Train station --> Dock
Signal --> Buoy

Buoy will be a 2-way system. Boat will ALLWAYS have buoy starboard.
Buoy entity 2x1 with 2 lights on it.

Odynius
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Odynius »

vtx wrote:Boat could also be use for transportation and could work on same level as train.

Train station --> Dock
Signal --> Buoy

Buoy will be a 2-way system. Boat will ALLWAYS have buoy starboard.
Buoy entity 2x1 with 2 lights on it.
really nice idea! and one could use early technology like sailing to begin, then get to a steam ship and finally a diesel or gas-turbine driven ship.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”