train station tags

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

drmason13
Inserter
Inserter

train station tags

Post by drmason13 »

A lot is currently possible by duplicating station names and using circuit signals to enable/disable stations. Like, a lot a lot with enough patience and circuit network ability. However many of us rely on what is possible using the train gui (I was a massive fan of the new wait conditions)

My idea is to somehow have stations optionally use a tag system of some kind. Here's how it could work, as inspiration for discussion; I would be curious to hear what could be done with such a feature:

Each station has an ordered list of tags.
When creating a train schedule, you specify one or more tags.
Trains route to the nearest station that has all of the tags listed for the next station.

For example, you could tag mines by their resource (iron, copper, ...) but also by "region" (north, south, Area51, ...) and also more?

The fun starts if you implement some kind of "fallback" tag matching. Say if a train's route contains
tags: "iron", "copper"
and all the "iron" mines are disabled, it could try to route to the nearest copper station instead - I can see some problems arising quite quickly "oh no the copper got unloaded into iron again", but with careful planning this could be a simple vanilla approach moving towards logistic train network.

How would you tag your stations if you had the option? Is it actually useful or am I just crazy?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”