Make the planet you're on more "alive"

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Flame1869
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Make the planet you're on more "alive"

Post by Flame1869 »

While playing factorio, i noticed how "dead" the planet you have crashed on actually is.
the only living things an the planet are the aliens and some fishes, beside that there are no organisms moving around the surface.
Also with the trees, you can cut them down and toch them, but there isnt much more to it.

I would love to see some the planet itself more involved into the gameplay somehow.
For example: more use to wood except a wooden crate or as fuel. maybe a way to point out a free-farm area where robots will replant/regrow trees. A nice gameplay twist could be your base pollution that comes into play here.
Something else could be the variety in trees. For example some trees that are able to produce rubbery substances that can be used in some kind of process and so on and so forth.

Same with the organisms on the planet. I can imagine some more complex structures (involve food ? also for the player itself?) in it.

Well just my 2 cent i noticed when playing this fantastic game.
Last edited by Flame1869 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Make the planet your on more "alive"

Post by bobingabout »

Your stuff about trees... Mods do that.

One of the issues with Treefarm mod (it allows you to assign an area for construction robots to plant and collect trees), is that the scripting required to handle this kills game performance, which is why more modern tree farming mods simply add a greenhouse entity (assembling machine) instead.

The ability to have trees naturally growing, and regrowing by themselves, plus the ability to plant seedlings naturally in the base game would be an improvement in my opinion. There are already topics about this if you look.

As for no other wildlife... long story short, game performance.

As for the topic title... it threw me at first. You're not Your.

I try not to mention it too often, but I just don't understand how people can't get it right.
The only reason why I mention it at all is... If I'm doing something wrong, and nobody tells me it's wrong, I'll keep doing it wrong. I can't fix an issue I don't know about.
explanation
Last edited by bobingabout on Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

Well...this is amusing! :)
I always check my posts for correct spelling and grammar and edit them immediately afterwards if I see anything.
I can see you're ;) frustrations about this and it rather funny to see you are complaining about it.
Still, there are many people on here whose main language is not English, so please don't blame them for their mistakes.
Gonna start playing again with 0.16 build.
That's all.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Yeah, I do get that most people aren't native English speakers, which is one reason why I try not to mention it very often, and when I do I try to be polite about it.

The fact that I didn't get what the title meant right away because of this grammatical error is what pushed me to mention it this time.

There's a graffiti on the wall somewhere around where I work that says "your gay", my inner silly comes out and says "what about my gay?" and "I don't have a gay." etc.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Flame1869
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Flame1869 »

bobingabout wrote:Yeah, I do get that most people aren't native English speakers, which is one reason why I try not to mention it very often, and when I do I try to be polite about it.

The fact that I didn't get what the title meant right away because of this grammatical error is what pushed me to mention it this time.

There's a graffiti on the wall somewhere around where I work that says "your gay", my inner silly comes out and says "what about my gay?" and "I don't have a gay." etc.
Whaha i never knew i was writing it wrong, so i dont mind at all pointing it out.
Although i do realize now that none of my native English colleagues ever mentioned it :roll:

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AileTheAlien »

bobingabout wrote:As for no other wildlife... long story short, game performance.
The game could have visual-only wildlife, that doesn't interact with the rest of the world. e.g. Birds (or their shadows) which would basically act like clouds - they look pretty, but don't interact with the world. Next cheapest would be birds that fly away from the player (and biters) but don't affect anything else in the world.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Make the planet you're on more "alive"

Post by impetus maximus »

i've typed your instead of you're so many times, i just type 'you are' now. :P

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”