Option to block loops through stations

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

wvlad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Option to block loops through stations

Post by wvlad »

TL;DR
Make station checkbox to block trains going though it without stopping.
What ?
Train pathfinder should consider path through "blocked" stations only when it's the only way to reach destination (regardless of signals state, etc). E.g. you may have several "blocked" stations in a one line and a train may reach second stations only going through first. If there is another path available even very long or with busy signals the path though such station should never be an option.
Why ?
This simplifies design decisions for single-headed train stops which create loop through which another train should never go.

On the screenshot there are 2 1-directional ways at the bottom merged into a single 2-directional way going to the station and making a loop. If I place there only chain signals another train may still wait at the 2->1 branching to loop through the station.

See also viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29023

pleegwat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Option to block loops through stations

Post by pleegwat »

Stations already get a penalty. Based on your screenshot, try replacing all signals inside the siding and the one before entering the siding by chain signals.

wvlad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wvlad »

If I do that some trains still may decide to loop but they will have to wait at the entrance until the station is free. The penalty doesn't really work sometimes.

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mp0011 »

Just make a smaller loop before station. Other trains will use it instead.

wvlad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wvlad »

mp, do you mean this? viewtopic.php?f=18&t=57565&p=341264

Anyway, why do additional loops if you could just mark a station as "non-passthrough"?

nightingale
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by nightingale »

The question is - why is your train trying to go in that loop in the first place?
  1. Is the same station name used in multiple places? If so, there's a few fixes:
    1. Change the signals to all chain signals as pleegwat suggested (the train may still wait a bit outside the station before repathing to a free station).
    2. Add a stacker/waiting area.
  2. Is the other train just trying to turn around, and the next closest place to turn is so far away it's still choosing this path?
    1. Build a turnaround nearby so the train can use that.

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mp0011 »

Something like this, but I will just make dedicated loop way before, just above main line.
And, as I see, You use Signals wrong. Just after the fork You MUST use non-chain signal, so train may enter there and wait there if necessary (if it fits there).
And use Regular Signals at enter to one-track section. I always use one-track system (for distant stations), and it never failed like this...

Try this:

wvlad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wvlad »

I don't use normal signals inside because multiple trains can decide to loop so 2 trains inside and 1 waiting on the 1-track. This is seen at my first screenshot of this topic. With this extra loop it will break the same but with 3 trains.
I use chain signals there only to split rail blocks so that 1 train can be at the station and another looping at the same time.

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mp0011 »

So, that is flaw in Your desing - to many trains needs to use that loop to turn back. Just make roundabout at main line instead of X-ing...
Make waiting ares before roundabout if more trains want to use thet station.

wvlad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wvlad »

It turned out that all 3 deadlocked trains in my case were not really looping but sent to the same station by LTN or who know what... So now I'm not sure if this idea is still needed.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”