Campaign map import

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Red
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Campaign map import

Post by Red »

It would be nice that "Campaign maps" would be able to import information from the "last campaign save".

Reason being that right now, the campaign gives you a goal to reach for the next step, you reach the win conditions and when you start the next step (for example, fill the car with whatever); the next campaign level simply provides you some preset stuff, which is often weird, specially yo new players.

I realize that this is just a "story" but it would ne nice to be able to influence the next step of you mission by building a bigger base right away or filling a vehicle with more stuff.

So the suggestions would be to
  • Allow the player inventory to be transferred
  • Allow the "last used vehicle" to be tracked and also be transferred to the map
  • Allow a specific area of the map to be imported onto the next map, perhaps there should be a way to identify what area will be transferred prior to finishing a step.
Should the new map "require more elements" and making the player reach that point on his own is not feasible (or fun) idea, we can just provide a chest with the items in them near the starting point...

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Campaign map import

Post by bobucles »

It sounds more like a second leg of the same mission. There's nothing wrong with having multiple steps for a mission, but the total mission size shouldn't be too intense.

I'm not a fan of previous setups directly influencing future missions. It means if you have an incredibly poor early setup then the future mission gets vastly more difficult. Likewise if you have an incredibly strong early setup it makes the future missions trivial. If you make a mistake 10 hours ago that makes the current mission too hard then you just lost 10 hours of setup time. Annoying! Missions should largely be closed boxes where previous success or failure doesn't impact the difficulty of the current goal.

That's not to say that previous missions can't have story ties to future missions. One of the most important things about a campaign is it ties a full story together. So if a player is tasked with building something in a previous mission then those consequences will be a part of a future mission.

Red
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Campaign map import

Post by Red »

Totally valid point.

Perhaps I should see this in another way, and just think of what I would be seeing as a Uber campaign, without the need "campaign steps", so some triggers would allow you to reach further map areas, and this is probably already doable in Lua.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”