Why LCTRL, RCTRL, but CONTROL?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

hhrhhr
Inserter
Inserter

Why LCTRL, RCTRL, but CONTROL?

Post by hhrhhr »

The problem is that the same key is denoted differently. Example:
20190219143235_1.jpg
20190219143235_1.jpg (7.17 KiB) Viewed 967 times
LCTRL, RCTRL, CONTROL...

I suggest two things.
  1. Rename all "CONTROL" to just "(L|R)CTRL" because:
    • most keyboards have the abbreviation "Ctrl", less commonly "Ctl".
    • the "control" designation is only on Mac keyboards, but in FFF-244 say "...Windows is still the main OS for PC gaming..." (in context "why not just to use OpenGL everywhere?")
    • Alt and Tab keys, for example, are not referred to as "Alternate" and "Tabulation".
  2. Remove capitalization of all key names.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Why LCTRL, RCTRL, but CONTROL?

Post by Optera »

hhrhhr wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:54 am
most keyboards have the abbreviation "Ctrl", less commonly "Ctl".
Almost every keyboard I come across has two Strg keys instead of Ctrl. :P

hhrhhr
Inserter
Inserter

Post by hhrhhr »

then the third things needs to be added:
  • Key names must be localized.

jamiechi1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jamiechi1 »

I suspect the reason for Lctrl and Rctrl is because the game looks at the scan codes and the developers probably used the names as defined in the original IBM PC and AT documentation.
For most people the distinction is not needed and I do not recall ever seeing the need to do this at the user level of any program or application. This is from my experience with computers from the time before personal computers existed and my years of working in Microsoft Hardware. Although I have pretty much ignored dvorak, Apple keyboards and other non-US keyboards.

I think Factorio should ignore the distinction at the top level and only present the Ctrl key and any localization of that nomenclature as required.

If Lctrl and Rctrl is need to differentiate between different languages and different keyboard layouts or types, that should be at an internal layer invisible to the normal user.

I would suggest adding a special script visible in the game sources similar to a lua script but using a format similar to or exactly like what the program Auto Hot Key uses in the AHK scripts. Placing all of this there would allow modders to fix any issues as needed for any localized versions of Factorio. If Auto Hot Key is available on other os's such as Linux or whatever Apple uses (BSD?), then Factorio wouldn't really need to do much and could rely on the Operating System or AHK to resolve these issues.

I have found that Auto Hot Key eliminates over 99 percent of issues I have in windows. And also allows remapping of mouse events to keyboard events as some have indicated they needed, due to physical hardships or other hardware issues.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”