Check for updates before cropping sprites

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Check for updates before cropping sprites

Post by Amarula »

The automatic updater is very handy, thank you for providing that ability!
Because of the frequent updates, I am particularly noticing that the game starts up, crops all the sprites and loads everything you need to play... and then checks for updates. And as soon as the update is downloaded, you get to crop all the sprites and load everything... again...
I suggest that you modify the order to check for updates before doing all that other work, so it is only done once whether or not there is an update.
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

doktorstick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Check for updates before cropping sprites

Post by doktorstick »

Not only this, but loading a tons of mods just to be presented with an update dialog is a bit irritating.

* Thread the startup to check for update while loading mods, etc.;
* Immediately present "Update" dialog if a new update is available;
* Continue loading toward the main menu even if no option is selected in the "Update" dialog;
* If update is selected, immediately update and relaunch--don't wait for the main menu.

The point of the third bullet is to allow someone to startup Factorio and walk away without having the startup stall because they didn't interact with a dialog.

xoft
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Check for updates before cropping sprites

Post by xoft »

Yes, please, this is getting on my nerves, too, especially since the Factorio startup times seem to have crawled to rather ridiculous amounts of time. 0.15 loaded within a few seconds, now 0.17 loads for over a minute.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”