Do not disconnect power poles when pasting filters

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Tongs
Inserter
Inserter

Do not disconnect power poles when pasting filters

Post by Tongs »

TL;DR
Do not disconnect power poles when pasting filters.

What ?
When copying and pasting filters, it is possible to disconnect power poles. This is because the paste function, shift+left mouse, also disconnects power poles.

Recently, in 0.17.42, I was copying stack filter inserter filters for a train station. I ran across a few medium power poles along the way. Sometimes, but not always, this would disconnect power. Maybe I just missed some by chance, since their hitbox is smaller than inserters' hit boxes?

Anyway, this appears not to be a bug: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=46843&p=269377

What I propose is altering how this shortcut works - instead of performing both actions, it can perform either action.

If I use shift+LMB to paste a filter setting, then until I release shift+LMB, it can only paste filter settings. It cannot disconnect power poles. Conversely, if I first use it to disconnect power poles, it cannot interfere with inserter filters.

Why ?
I use the copy filter shortcut frequently, but rarely want to disconnect power poles and leave the power poles standing around.

The common use case for this change in functionality is to allow copying filter settings when there are a large number of (stack) filter inserters inline with power poles, e.g. at a train station. I shift click the first inserter, then run in a straight line, hitting them all. This is especially true before unlocking all the technology for personal roboports and construction robots where a blueprint would be beneficial. Even then, doing this by hand is faster than construction robots before investing a few levels in increased robot speed. Meaning, I do this a lot.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Do not disconnect power poles when pasting filters

Post by FuryoftheStars »

+1 on this.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

100% agree, when I first started factorio power poles would get disconnected and I did not know why, took me a while to figure out what was going on.. The simple solution is to change the key binding through settings, the 'remove pole cables' option under controls. I changed mine to ALT + CONTROL + M (alt gr button). Whereas this is a simple fix for the user, the user has to know what's happening in the first place! New players do not fit into that category..

They key binding (for power cable removal) Should be changed as default so it is not the same as when copy / pasting assembler settings etc.
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

I thought that was already how it worked. Once you pasted the first inserter only pasting would work and power poles get skipped. Only when you hit a power pole before the first inserter should the wire be cut. Can't test it now but given how seldom I cut wire doing such pasting with circuit controlled pumps at train stations I would have said it already does this.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”