Dude where did I park my tank?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Sasuga
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Dude where did I park my tank?

Post by Sasuga »

A button on the map that when 'on' has a blinking icon showing where my vehicles are, and turns off all other blinking warnings on my map.

After going on vacation or something and coming back to a game, it's easy to forget where things were parked.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Dude where did I park my tank?

Post by Koub »

Just to be sure you're aware of it, your vehicles are marked with a red circled white triangle on the map. It might not stand out that much, but can be useful when looking for it.
I do understand however that it might be tricky to find it when buried under other map information.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Koub wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:24 am
Just to be sure you're aware of it, your vehicles are marked with a red circled white triangle on the map. It might not stand out that much, but can be useful when looking for it.
I do understand however that it might be tricky to find it when buried under other map information.
Also, the red-circled white triangles just tell you where one of your vehicles is -- not where you parked your tank! Even in vanilla, you can have different vehicles (tank and car at least -- not sure and can't check right now: are trains marked the same way?). But mods can give you lots of different vehicles, so you could ask yourself where you've left your car, truck, tank, boat, hauler, air plane etc. Then there are the people who use cars or tanks on belts -- just imagine you've parked your private vehicle next to such a belt, you might very well not find it in map view because it's hiding in the crowd.

There's this mod that allows you to assign one vehicle as your personal transportation and summon it right next to you. It's extremely helpful, but it has a serious limitation: You have access to only one vehicle at a time. You can reassign another vehicle as your active one, but should you ever need to use a different vehicle you're back to looking for it on the map again.

This could be remedied, perhaps, if you could assign different map symbols to different vehicles. That would make it possible to see that you've left your car way up in the North while your tank is next to the outpost where you just cleared out some biter nests, and your truck with all the building supplies is still at the other outpost down south. Having the ability to also set "no symbol in map view" would make for a "cleaner" map in case you use vehicles on belts. Alas, I'm afraid the price (having to check the settings for each individual vehicle each time you turn on map view) would be considered too high by the developers to implement such a feature.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

:!: Disables achievements.

This code makes a line between the player and the nearest vehicle:

Code: Select all

/c
local p = game.player
local car = nil
local min_distance = 1000
local entities = p.surface.find_entities_filtered{position = p.position, radius=min_distance, type='car', force=p.force}
for i, entity in pairs (entities) do
  local dx = p.position.x - entity.position.x
  local dy = p.position.y - entity.position.y
  local distance = (dx^2+dy^2)^0.5
  if distance < min_distance then
    min_distance = distance
    car = entity
  end
end
if car then
  rendering.draw_line{color=p.color, width=1, from=p.character, to=car, surface=p.surface, players={p}, time_to_live = 5*60*60, only_in_alt_mode=true}
end

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”