Finer grain control over logistic network partitioning

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Nemo4809
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Finer grain control over logistic network partitioning

Post by Nemo4809 »

TL;DR
Allow us to control which roboports belong to which network depending the connecting wires between them - just like how we control which electric poles are in which electric network.
What ?
Roboports should connect to each other like electric poles - with a wire on the ground showing the connection. The connection is automatic like with electric poles and can be severed the same way as wires between electric poles - i.e. just attach a wire a second time between the 2 roboports.

All connected roboports are considered part of the same network - with max distance between roboports being 50 tiles.

This replaces the less flexible proximity-based connecting of roboports to form logistic networks.

In addition, the wires could be allowed to carry power reducing the need for electric poles - if one roboport in the network is powered, the rest are powered as well.
Why ?
In addition to giving us tighter control over partitioning of logistic networks, it allows the overlapping of logistic ranges of separate logistic networks while still allowing the constraining of bots to specific networks, which I believe will open up more creative ways to use bots.

Overall, I feel much more can be done with bots than the current logistic network building system allows.
Last edited by Nemo4809 on Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nemo4809
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Finer grain control over logistic network partitioning

Post by Nemo4809 »

wobbycarly wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:13 pm
<plug>
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=64648&p=396170#p396170
</plug>
:D
Not a bad idea. Would work well with the aforementioned wire system proposed above to allow "precision crafting" of logistic networks.

Frankly, even if the developers feel it would make bots OPed or that belts are more "fun"[1], they should still implement it as an option[2] - kind of like peaceful mode - to let players build the bases that they want. (Or maybe have it as a post-rocket-launch research.)

[1] I know the devs love belt weaving but personally I find the overuse of belt weaving to be unsightly. I much prefer clean designs that could be understood at a glance vs monstrous Gordian Knots that take 15 mins of carefully following every belt to understand.

[2] I'm under the impression that it can't be achieved via mods - there would probably already be a mod to do so if it could be done via mods.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Finer grain control over logistic network partitioning

Post by ssilk »

See also
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=43460 Logistic Network and Logistic Chest Extensions

I added this thread.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”