Train schedule

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

DukeAl
Inserter
Inserter

Train schedule

Post by DukeAl »

Hi,
in a situation where multiple train stations use the same name I would like to have the following options:
-visit the nearest station available
-visit a different station each time
-visit all stations with the same name (not so important)

If visiting all stations was possible too there should be an option to set how many stations are visited before the next station on the schedule.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Train schedule

Post by ssilk »

DukeAl wrote: -visit the nearest station available
This is already the case, with the exception, that it takes another stop, if the next is occupied or so (complex routing rules)
-visit a different station each time
You mean for each "round" in the schedule it should visit another train stop?
-visit all stations with the same name (not so important)
Don't understand. Do you mean if you have many stops called "Gather stone", the train should drive to each station before it continues?
Wouldn't it be easier to say "all stations beginning with 'Gather stone *" ?
If visiting all stations was possible too there should be an option to set how many stations are visited before the next station on the schedule.
Ok, till here, but now it doesn't make any more sense?! I think this is too special, I dunno, why/how I could use that. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

DukeAl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DukeAl »

Hmm, I thougth I was pretty clear but I try to explain what I mean:
As you said, the first option is already implemented.
The second (-visit a different station each time) means every time the train has to go to station x it will go to a different station.
example:
I have build a big smelter setup with 160 furnaces and two 4-wagon train stations. I don't have enough trains running jet for the first station ever to be occupied.
So the train always goes to the same station and all the ress in the chests of the second stop are kind of wasted.

Another application (the more important for me) would be the service-stations i use to deliver materials i need for service (turrets,walls,repair packs.....).
If i name all service stations the same the train will only visit the nearest station and everyone dies..
If i could tell the train to visit a different station each time it has to visit station x it would deliver them to all stations after some time.

Third option (visiting all stations):
I tell the train to go to station x (only one station with this name) and then to station y (many stations with this name).
If i use the example above with the service-stations I could say go to x and then visit 5 y stations.
By that time the train is empty and heads back to x to refill. Then the next 5 stations y and so one.

I know that it sounds a bit special at first glance but i think these options would give us way more flexibility with trains.
And before anyone says I could do the same things with the options given now I have to disagree.
The beauty of the different options is that i can add stations to the rail network without changing anything in the schedule and it still runs like a clock.

Hope this makes it easier to understand.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Some suggestion:
For #2 I would replace it with "There is a 'visited'-counter and the train goes to the station with the least visits".

For #3 I think this is better implemented with circuit logic "If (some condition) then reset schedule (or set it to position Z) else put it to position W".

The condition can be for example: If train is full go back else go to the same station. Then with the above visited-counter the train will go to the least visited station, until full, then it returns and continues with the next least-visited station.

The circuit logic can be a blueprint. I would prefer this way, cause I really think, that this suggestion is nice, but too special. It is much more useful, if I could add different logic at each station, cause if this suggestion is implemented like so it is "fix" and other users will add more such suggestions, which leads in the end to a quite complex scheduler (see other games, especially OpenTTD, there are options, which are per sure used only some handful of players, which makes no sense).
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”