Usage Key

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Enterpriser1995
Inserter
Inserter

Usage Key

Post by Enterpriser1995 »

So, here I come with another proposal.

I noticed that Factorio unfortunately lacks of a proper key to see the usage of raw materials.

So, much like the Minecraft Mod "Not Enough Items", i do suggest an edit to the code that would open another GUI by pressing a key ("U", for example), similar to the default inventory, but with only raw materials, and selecting one would show in which recipes this material is involved. This would also be nice to have directly in your inventory, and pressing "U" while hovering a material would show the recipes.

EXAMPLE: i wanna know how can i use copper ore, cause i'm pretty newbie, and so, i look for the keybindings in the option menu, find that keybinding, hover over the copper ore and press U, and a little flame appears, meaning that i might burn it in my brand new furnace.

SECOND EXAMPLE: I have a Gear, and i wanna know how can i use it, so i just press U without the inventory open, another inventory pops up, with everything i can make use of (Raw Materials, Inserters, etcetera) i select the category "Intermediate Products" and browse 'til i find the Gear i'm looking for.

This opens up a little square with all the informations about the material [Just like the recipe when hovering an item I do need. (CLARITY: Just put your mouse over a basic inserter in your crafting window to know what i'm talking about)] and it will let me know how can i use it without having a look at the finished machinery.

INFO: You might find it useless, but i really believe it would be much easier for newbies, and for everyone who wants to know what kind of usage an item has without having the research first (Usable recipes would have a grey background, the default one, and not researched yet recipes would have a red background)

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Usage Key

Post by MF- »

This concept baffles me.

I learned most of the products/recipes back before the recipe tabs/categories were invented
and it was obvious from the first glance at the recipes which are available and which aren't,
though.

Also I never got into a situation where I'd keep an intermediate product and think "what can I build with this"
It was always "I need X, what do I need to mine more of?"

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Usage Key

Post by ssilk »

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =10#p29325
kovarex wrote: Ingame techtree is planned for version 0.12, lets hope we can make it :)
A year ago, if it is 0.12 is questionable, but it will come.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”