Power generation with atoms.

Moderator: Fatmice

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.11.x] Uranium Power heat exchanger

Post by Fatmice »

Liquius wrote:
glowfactor wrote:I've searched in vain for this heat exchanger - all I have are the 2 pumps -Water Pressuriser and Small Pump.
Do I need any more research other than your Uranium Processing.?
It should be there. Could it be that you didn't start the save with 0.5.0? You might want to try typing "/c game.player.force.resettechnologies()".
That never does anything. I always have to cheat it in. What did you think of my 50 MW build?
Maintainer and developer of Atomic Power. See here for more information.
Current release: 0.6.6 - Requires 0.14.x
Example build - Requires 0.14.x

Liquius
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Liquius »

Fatmice wrote:
Liquius wrote:
glowfactor wrote:I've searched in vain for this heat exchanger - all I have are the 2 pumps -Water Pressuriser and Small Pump.
Do I need any more research other than your Uranium Processing.?
It should be there. Could it be that you didn't start the save with 0.5.0? You might want to try typing "/c game.player.force.resettechnologies()".
That never does anything. I always have to cheat it in.
That's odd, it works for me.
What did you think of my 50 MW build?
It was pretty and over the top, so full marks.

I am making it significantly easier to extract energy in next update by upping the max temperature and heat capacity.

glowfactor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by glowfactor »

I was running with 0.4.3 - sigh. I thought I had changed it but ....
Still not got the heat exchanger even when use proper 0.5.0 and resettechnologies.
I do see a capital letter P over the pressuriser pump so something has changed now but no xch
Is it because I created everything with 0.4.3? I've deleted the reactor and pumps and replaced them.

I did try a new game with 0.5.0 and enabled all the technologies and I can see the heat exchanger next to the pump and yet another pump - the fast pump.

I'm enjoying the game I have going now so I shall stick with it and the straight reactor coupling to the generators.
Next game I will retry the heat exchanger.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Liquius wrote:
Fatmice wrote:
Liquius wrote:It should be there. Could it be that you didn't start the save with 0.5.0? You might want to try typing "/c game.player.force.resettechnologies()".
That never does anything. I always have to cheat it in.
That's odd, it works for me.
It resets the technology but the icons for the items never shows up. Are you sure it works? Were you issuing the command in freeplay or sandbox? Was it /c game.player or /c game.players[1] ?
Liquius wrote: It was pretty and over the top, so full marks.
I am making it significantly easier to extract energy in next update by upping the max temperature and heat capacity.
Maybe buff the water-pressurizer? Or perhaps make another Off-shore pump to spawns pressurized water? It would make the water energy independent.

Here are pictures of the revised build. This is the new example build for your mod. The base has all the features of version 0.5.0 of the mod. Test-mode mod is not required to load the save.
Gross Power up to 52.224 MW, 50.4 MW stable.
Upkeep Power of 6.6 MW, 6 MW if not counting lamps and lasers.
Net Power production is 44.4 MW (50.4 MW - 6 MW).
Space use = 16 chunks (whole chunk count) or 16384 tiles. The actual number of tiles used for power production/upkeep would need to be counted in order to figure power/tile and compare that to solar generation, which is 6400 J/tile.

Overview of the base
UraniumPower_0.5.0_Sample_base_1.jpg
UraniumPower_0.5.0_Sample_base_1.jpg (926.78 KiB) Viewed 13468 times
Detail of the power infastructure. There are two separate electrical networks. The "upkeep" network is provided by the solar and accumulator banks. The main network is providing power to beacon banks and production buildings.
-Color boxes designate the water-pressurizer banks and their corresponding steam-generator banks.
-Green box designates the single water-pressurizer servicing the primary loop. This one should be disconnected from the off-shore pump once the reactor has 19 units of liquid.
-Yellow storage tanks store pressurized water for the power production loop, i.e. secondary loop.
-Purple storage tanks store pressurized water for the heat exchangers and reactor, i.e. primary loop.
-Color arrows designate flow direction. 275C liquid is red, 15C liquid is green, and 100-190C liquid is purple.
-Orange triangles designate the reactor pumps. Their direction and location are crucial for the function of the reactor build.
-All pumps are fast pumps.
UraniumPower_0.5.0_Sample_base_2.jpg
UraniumPower_0.5.0_Sample_base_2.jpg (922.94 KiB) Viewed 13468 times
Overview of the production aspects of the mod. Raw material requisition is not shown but simply provided in the steel chest. The enrichment chain is blue-printable and occupies one chunk. The chain is built to never jam.
UraniumPower_0.5.0_Sample_base_3.jpg
UraniumPower_0.5.0_Sample_base_3.jpg (928.62 KiB) Viewed 13468 times

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.11.x] Uranium Power

Post by Fatmice »

Example build Updated to 0.11.12. Test-mode is not required for loading save.

See post above for more details.

Change
-Tweaked liquid loop (secondary loop) for power production. Excess liquid shunted back into secondary storage tanks. Secondary storage tanks for each side now communicate. This improved sustainability when maximum power must be produced (52.224 MW) to about 30 minutes. Production at 50.4 MW is stable indefinitely.
-Tweaked uranium refining chain and cleaned up piping. Refining chain will only clog when depleted uranium chests are completely filled otherwise it will run indefinitely when provided raw materials. Uraninite consumption is ~100 units/min, Fluorite at ~30 units/min to produce ~225 depleted uranium per min and enough enriched uranium to make 1 4.2% fuel assembly per min.

baldurs1982
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by baldurs1982 »

Hi, i have some questions? What should be done with uranium hexafluoride 0,2%? I noticed that chemical plant which manufactures uranium hexafluoride 3,2 needs additional tank for outputted hexafluoride 2,2% (not sure about %). is this supposed to be like that or am i doing something wrong? And the last questionor maybe notice: while i open any chemical plant view which is manufacturing uranium hexaflouride i see the same input and output text. for example - plant which producing 3,2 uranium hexaflouride needs 3,2 HU; and produces 3,2 HU and 3,2 HU. But the text should be like this HU needed 2,7, HU output 3,2 and 2,2. The bars in the material pictures are correct.
Sorry for english

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

baldurs1982 wrote:Hi, i have some questions? What should be done with uranium hexafluoride 0,2%? I noticed that chemical plant which manufactures uranium hexafluoride 3,2 needs additional tank for outputted hexafluoride 2,2% (not sure about %). is this supposed to be like that or am i doing something wrong? And the last questionor maybe notice: while i open any chemical plant view which is manufacturing uranium hexaflouride i see the same input and output text. for example - plant which producing 3,2 uranium hexaflouride needs 3,2 HU; and produces 3,2 HU and 3,2 HU. But the text should be like this HU needed 2,7, HU output 3,2 and 2,2. The bars in the material pictures are correct.
Sorry for english
The "bug" with the output information being the same for each output is known but not much can be done about it yet. This is because what you're seeing when you mouse over each output is actually the name for the recipe to get that output. This is a vanilla feature. You will experience the same when you use Advance oil processing method in the refinery. Mouse over each of the product and you will simply see "Advance oil processing" instead of the name of each product. As for what to do with 0.2% uranium hexafluoride, it turns into depleted uranium. Have you not check out my example build? It has everything you need to get started as well as understand this mod.
Last edited by Fatmice on Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wenihal
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Wenihal »

Great mod, I really like. Had some troubles with building similar setup as Fatmice, but I finally get it to work.

Do fuel assemblies give power forever or will disappear after some time?

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Wenihal wrote:Great mod, I really like. Had some troubles with building similar setup as Fatmice, but I finally get it to work.

Do fuel assemblies give power forever or will disappear after some time?
It is intended that fuel assemblies decay into depleted uranium. However that is a feature that Liquius is working on.

Liquius
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Liquius »

This update is pretty small. The max temperature and heat capacity of pressurised water has increased, meaning its easier to use heat exchangers. Also I added a proper placeholder for the heat exchanger to reduce confusion.

Unfortunately I don't think I will have the time to work on this mod for the foreseeable future. I will try and keep this mod up to date if an update breaks it, but I can't make any promises. If anyone wants to continue this mod or scavenge it for bits, I won't have any problems with that.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Liquius wrote:0.5.1

This update is pretty small. The max temperature and heat capacity of pressurised water has increased, meaning its easier to use heat exchangers. Also I added a proper placeholder for the heat exchanger to reduce confusion.

Unfortunately I don't think I will have the time to work on this mod for the foreseeable future. I will try and keep this mod up to date if an update breaks it, but I can't make any promises. If anyone wants to continue this mod or scavenge it for bits, I won't have any problems with that.
Aw, that's quite sad. Hope you can return to it in due time. I'll see if I can get the assembly to decay. I have some ideas about this.

Liquius
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Liquius »

Fatmice wrote:Aw, that's quite sad. Hope you can return to it in due time. I'll see if I can get the assembly to decay. I have some ideas about this.
Thanks.

The problem I couldn't figure out is the reprocessing side. I wanted the fuel to have multiple states of decay (ie fresh, spent, and a few points in between), and you can start reprocessing before spent. However that would mean a lot of recipes and add a ton of confusion. Even with only fresh and spent, you still have a lot of options. What do you do when you get around MOX pellets and MOX fuel assemblies?

The conclusion I came to is that adding all that won't add a significant amount of content/fun. It would leave a mess of recipes and too many options, and/or be too dumbed down/simplified that it goes against the aim of this mod and loses consistency.

I wonder if you can do any better.

Zeeth_Kyrah
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zeeth_Kyrah »

Liquius wrote:
Fatmice wrote:Aw, that's quite sad. Hope you can return to it in due time. I'll see if I can get the assembly to decay. I have some ideas about this.
Thanks.

The problem I couldn't figure out is the reprocessing side. I wanted the fuel to have multiple states of decay (ie fresh, spent, and a few points in between), and you can start reprocessing before spent. However that would mean a lot of recipes and add a ton of confusion. Even with only fresh and spent, you still have a lot of options. What do you do when you get around MOX pellets and MOX fuel assemblies?

The conclusion I came to is that adding all that won't add a significant amount of content/fun. It would leave a mess of recipes and too many options, and/or be too dumbed down/simplified that it goes against the aim of this mod and loses consistency.

The problem is, the machine templates we have are often inadequate when we need a whole new type of machine. It's nice that some have found ways around this.
Maybe the reprocessor could work like an electric furnace, accepting an item and processing it with hidden recipes based on what item it receives, instead of like an assembly machine where you pre-set the recipe. So the reprocessor checks which item or item-state is input, then outputs one or more items/fluids based on that content; it would probably need more than one input slot, and two or more outputs, though not all of these would be filled by every recipe. Instead of a fixed recipe, though, you'd want the machine to actually calculate how much of three outputs to give: Uranium hexafluoride at the assembly's level (based on percent of fuel remaining), MOX or equivalent (small percent of spent fuel), depleted uranium (small percent of spent fuel).

This is more Minecraft-like than Factorio-like, but having a machine which calculates its output would solve a lot of problems, regardless of what model is used to represent it. I'm sure many mod authors would love to have access to such a machine.
Planned projects: Energy Crystals Plus, Minor Fluid Handling, Small electric furnaces
(high-energy materials and assembler, fluid void burner and small tank, tiny and slow furnaces with charcoal)

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Liquius wrote:
Thanks.

Actually, my idea is quite simple. The fuel assembly is a modified ammo type and so it has a magazine size. One would simply decrement the magazine size to simulate decay. The problem is so far I've not been able to modify the magazine size of my test ammo type.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Just an update, I've been in dialogue with Liquius to step in and keep development of this mod. The next step is fuel assembly decay, but this will have to wait until 0.11.14 comes out as kovarex is making some extensions to the lua interface that will make the aforementioned idea possible.

In the meantime, I will work on improving the look of some item icons so that they are less confusing to look at. Hopefully I will finish this for a weekend release of 0.5.2.

super__gamer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by super__gamer »

i tryd to load it up but it said it no info.json faund

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

super__gamer wrote:i tryd to load it up but it said it no info.json faund
It is working for me. What did you do? Did you extracted the zip file? That is not needed. Just drop the zip file into the mods folder.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

super__gamer wrote:i tryd to load it up but it said it no info.json faund
If you've extracted the mod make sure the file/folder structure is a follows:

Code: Select all

mods/UraniumPower_<version>/info.json
If you still have issues please paste the full error or log file. (Tip: You can hit Ctrl+C on the error messages' modal dialog box to copy the whole error message as text.)
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

ykcyc
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ykcyc »

nice mod!

got a bug tho: when i disassemble fast pump, i get a simple "small pump" instead in inventory
and those nasty fast pumps are not so simple in production ;)

did i miss smth or this is a proper bug?

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

ykcyc wrote:nice mod!

got a bug tho: when i disassemble fast pump, i get a simple "small pump" instead in inventory
and those nasty fast pumps are not so simple in production ;)

did i miss smth or this is a proper bug?
Will be fixed in 0.5.2, which is slated for release in a few hours.

Return to “Atomic Power”