rotatable assembly-type machines

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

rotatable assembly-type machines

Post by drs9999 »

So we are able to define different sprites for an entity depending on its orientation what is great!

But we are still limited to square sized buildings, because the collision- and selection-box is not affected by the rotation.

Theoretically the solution is quite simple, just change the x- and y-coords, but I am not sure how deep it is buried in the code.

So is there a chance that this will be changed in the near future?

AlexPhoenix
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: rotatable assembly-type machines

Post by AlexPhoenix »

i think Factorio Team can add eliptic collision and selection, cuz this checking not harder then box(also can be optimized circle thing if want).

but for building placement i think better stay up with cell placement.
Last edited by AlexPhoenix on Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

drs9999 wrote:So we are able to define different sprites for an entity depending on its orientation what is great!

But we are still limited to square sized buildings, because the collision- and selection-box is not affected by the rotation.

Theoretically the solution is quite simple, just change the x- and y-coords, but I am not sure how deep it is buried in the code.

So is there a chance that this will be changed in the near future?
This would be easy to do, steam engine already works that way, but there is some difference.
You can never rotate existing steam engine, but you can rotate it while building.
But you can rotate assembling machine even when built because it has square collision box.

I guess that the general approach should be, to enable rotation when built only when the collision box is square, both for assembling machine and steam engine.

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

I am confused. Is it a yes or a no? :D

If it is a yes, will it be in 0.9.1"? ;)
Well, it is not that important, but I asked because if it will be included in the next update there is no need for me to make new building-graphics, otherwise I have to.

Anyway, why allowing rotation after placing at all?

And also if you forbid rotation for not square-sized buildings what is with 180° rotations, that would not affect the boxes...

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

drs9999 wrote:And also if you forbid rotation for not square-sized buildings what is with 180° rotations, that would not affect the boxes...
180° rotaion is already posible with Spliters. So this is already in game. I only don't know if it is hardcoded or available in item recipies.

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

Rotation related stuff is hardcoded and depends on the entity-type. So steam-engines can only be rotated before building them, assemblies can be rotated before and after, splitter can be rotated in 90° steps before and 180° after placing them etc.

Well, you can "cheat" a bit in the assembling-machine prototype, so if you define the same picture for each direction, rotation is disabled or at least it looks like...

Btw you cannot add fluidboxes to not square-sized assemblies, I guess thats related to this topic.

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

Can you also add a way to make an entity not rotable?
Because as I said in this post
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =25&t=2442
Im having problems with rotations, I really dont want to allow rotation in that entity

Return to “Implemented mod requests”