Player Inventory research.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Player Inventory research.

Post by bobingabout »

Currently, the only way to manipulate the size of a player's inventory is to edit the player entity's inventory_size tag. This means it needs to be set in the data raw definitions, and can't be edited during a game.

I request that, similar to the research that adds a new toolbelt row, or more player logistic/trash slots, that there be a research effect type to increase the player inventory space.

For some mods, the default size of 60 just isn't enough space, so the only option is to either increase this starting size (in my case I double it to 120), or go with the default, and leave the players at a bit of a disadvantage.

A more ideal solution is that as more resources, intermediates, and just general items of any kind become available to the player, and a requirement to progress in the modified game, that they be able to research for a larger inventory size.
This is currently not possible.

I did look into this a while ago (back in 0.9.8), and may have asked back then, I can't remember, I thought it would be a good idea to revisit it.
On that note, I was aproched today by a fellow modder asking for some assistance, when I found out he was having trouble trying to implement this very thing in a round-about way, I went into detail of exactly why what he was doing wasn't working for him, and explored possible alternative round-about ways. Eventually we agreed that none of the messing around would give a desirable result, and that I should once again look into this request.

I understand that right now is a bug fixing phase, and the developement team have put a lot of their "wish list" on hold untill the next feature addition run. I ask is that this request be considered next time the team looks into adding something to the game.

Having said all that... I would also like to hear what other people have to say about this request.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Player Inventory research.

Post by Afforess »

Definitely agree. I looked into this a few weeks ago, and could not find a way to increase inventory without making it permanent. I considered creating duplicate player entities, copying the old player data to a new player entity, killing the old entity, to make inventory sizes work with research, but could never get it to work seamlessly.

A field to allow adjusting the size would solve this.

Return to “Implemented mod requests”