Support for creating new types of generators

Fortanono
Inserter
Inserter

Support for creating new types of generators

Post by Fortanono »

One thing that is very lacking in the modding API is the way people have to make power generation. Either make a solar panel, add a new fuel/way to heat up water, or use a crap ton of scripts to modify how a steam engine-type functions. What I request is a new kind of prototype for fuel arrays, and an entity-type for a generator that can use any fuel array.

First off, fuel prototypes. This would more or less be a list of different items or fluids, depending on what you want to use, with values on how long they last. Any burner-type machines can use this as well, and maybe a "hybrid" type of energy where they need both a fuel set and energy. Next, make a basic "generator" entity type that can use any of these fuel arrays to generate power.

Please add this. There are very few types of power in vanilla, and at least adding the functionality for mods to make new power sources easily.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Support for creating new types of generators

Post by aubergine18 »

I like the idea of fuel categories - lists of stuff that provide 'energy' to other entities (such as generators). I wouldn't limit it to just powering generators though - maybe also allow such fuels to power machines, vehicles, etc?
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I know they added the power creation unit thing, but as far as I know, it just provides a constant power source. So it's okay if you want to create say, a building type similar to the fusion reactor in your power suit, but as something that consumes fuel, or is depending on a condition, such as wind, it just doesn't work.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

bobingabout wrote:I know they added the power creation unit thing, but as far as I know, it just provides a constant power source. So it's okay if you want to create say, a building type similar to the fusion reactor in your power suit, but as something that consumes fuel, or is depending on a condition, such as wind, it just doesn't work.
You can adjust the amount of power it generates runtime. In fact you can adjust everything about it runtime: power production, consumption, output flow limit, input flow limit, buffer size, and so on.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Implemented mod requests”