HD textures

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

radicallarry
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

HD textures

Post by radicallarry »

So the devs once said they can do HD textures of all the models in the game, more than a year ago. Here's a link to it https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-64

Why didn't they do it yet? Especially for the steam release. The game is awesome, and the graphics would have been awesome 10 years ago, but not today. Looks like puke when it's zoomed in. It's a seemingly easy thing to do, especially considering the huge effect it would have on new players, I'm sure they would appreciate it a lot.

Why are there no HD textures? Just make it an in-game option, or if that's not possible then an official hd-mod as it was proposed in the friday fact. But just do it, the textures we have are horrible.

ShizukaMiyuki
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: HD textures

Post by ShizukaMiyuki »

well if you took a look around, you would find this in the forums:
viewtopic.php?f=144&t=13142
Its a good compromise until the devs do decide to add HD textures.
Meow, Meow, Meooooow....

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Time. None of the old models where created with enough detail to make any kind of HD texture pack possible before the steam engine and the car and would need to be completely re-worked to support higher resolutions.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Hexicube
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hexicube »

Rseding91 wrote:Time. None of the old models where created with enough detail to make any kind of HD texture pack possible before the steam engine and the car and would need to be completely re-worked to support higher resolutions.
I'd take a poke at it if the models were public, though that comes with its own issues.

indjev99
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by indjev99 »

Rseding91 wrote:Time. None of the old models where created with enough detail to make any kind of HD texture pack possible before the steam engine and the car and would need to be completely re-worked to support higher resolutions.
Maybe after the achievement icons are finished the graphics department could start slowly remaking all the models so that they allow HD textures. It could look a bit weird if some textures were HD and others not, so you could have some option that turns on using the HD textures, where they exist, and the old ones, where they don't. And if that is turned off then the game uses only the non-HD ones.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

They don't have to be more detailed, just rendering the old models at higher resolution would be a big improvement. Much sharper edges.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Zeblote wrote:
They don't have to be more detailed, just rendering the old models at higher resolution would be a big improvement. Much sharper edges.
That's what happens when you zoom in right now. It just scales up the textures and they all look blurry.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Rseding91 wrote:
Zeblote wrote:
That's what happens when you zoom in right now. It just scales up the textures and they all look blurry.
All your sprites are 3d models, right? An image rendered at a higher resolution will look much better than an upscaled one. I don't mean the textures on the model, I mean the model itself.

Just try it, render assembling machine 1 at 2x the resolution and post it here :D

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”