[1.1.89] Delayed transitions between joystick & mouse input modes (steam deck)

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Stewmat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.89] Delayed transitions between joystick & mouse input modes (steam deck)

Post by Stewmat »

I've gotten addicted to factorio on my steam deck, with the controller input mode, and I'm really pleasantly surprised with how well it works. But I do have this little gripe about the controls.

The steam deck, of course, behaves mostly as a controller, but the trackpad simulates a mouse. I'm using the trackpad 80% of the time, but sometimes the joystick is better (ie. for combat). I'd like to have the best of both worlds, using both the trackpad and joystick where appropriate, but transitioning between the two is finicky.

When the free cursor is disabled, it still turns on automatically when the trackpad/mouse is used, and then lingers for about 1 second before being disabled. I don't think this is ideal behaviour, both because I don't like having the cursor disappear, and because it's impossible to switch back to joystick input for a second after releasing the trackpad (it just moves the cursor instead). Why not stay in free cursor mode indefinitely until the right joystick is used again?

That is, the behaviour that I think would be ideal (for the steam deck) is: when I touch the trackpad / move the mouse, it automatically switches to free cursor mode, and stays there; when I use the right joystick, it switches back to joystick mode (immediately), and stays there. This wouldn't have any effect on how normal controllers work, and I think it would work a lot better for the steam deck.

I've tried to do this myself with steam input profiles, by configuring a touch and release of the right joystick to toggle the free cursor on and off. This doesn't work perfectly, because sometimes the toggle gets stuck in the opposite state that I want; and also, it doesn't work if I've touched the trackpad within the last second, as then the joystick just moves the cursor.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.89] Delayed transitions between joystick & mouse input modes (steam deck)

Post by Twinsen »

Moved to Ideas and Suggestions as this is not a bug.

But the suggestion makes sense, I will test it and think if there are any edge cases and see how it goes.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.89] Delayed transitions between joystick & mouse input modes (steam deck)

Post by Twinsen »

I implemented this pretty much as suggested. Moving the mouse(touching the touchpad) will switch to "mouse mode". "Mouse mode" will be disabled when right stick is touched, or when left stick is touched and a window is open(so you can navigate the gui with a stick and also move the character in "mouse mode").

The change will be available on 1.1.90 experimental.

Other players are welcome to also give feedback on the change.

Stewmat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Stewmat »

Awesome! Looking forward to trying it.

Stewmat
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Stewmat »

Works just as I pictured it. It's a nice improvement for the steam deck, thanks!

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”