Empty hands key

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Arucard
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Empty hands key

Post by Arucard »

Hellos, I've played for a relatively short time but greatly enjoying the game. I have looked to be sure it's not suggested already (in FAQs and first 5 pages at least) so forgive me if I've overlooked it.

Basically just a key to empty your hands when you are placing an object. Sometimes you have a few of them and only want to put down one or two, it's soooo annoying to click on the hotbar again! (I'm exaggerating of course :P) The slot where the object was appears as a silhouette of a hand, so I assumed clicking it or pressing the corresponding number would place it back there, yet it doesn't seem to do anything. Either pressing the corresponding key, or another dedicated key would be nice. I tend to get attacked while placing things then have to run backward while a giant overlay covers my attackers.

It's a simple suggestion, and I thought it was working as so, but maybe there's a glitch or something for me. If not I think it would be a nice addition, thank you.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Empty hands key

Post by orzelek »

It's Q for me. It should be same for you if you didn't remap the keys.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

orzelek wrote:It's Q for me. It should be same for you if you didn't remap the keys.
Not knowing about the Q key was indeed one of the things that frustrated me massively, the first few times I tried playing Factorio. It really ought to be emphasized much more strongly to new players.

Arucard
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Arucard »

Oh, good thanks! I might have eventually hit it on accident, or may have done so already, it did seem strange there wasn't a key for it. :roll:

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I read the title, my thoughts were "That's Q isn't it?" I don't even use it, I prefer to just click the toolbelt again, and as a result usually end up completely scrambling my toolbelt order, and I use a 4 row toolbelt from my research mod that hasn't been released yet, it's huge.

I think the slight annoyance is that it's shared with the change weapon key, so if I do use it, I usually either end up changing my weapon accidently, or drop the item from my hands while trying to change weapon.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Arucard
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Rework Tips?

Post by Arucard »

Oh that's right, but I thought it only changes to your best weapon?

Anyway, I did end up seeing the hint popup that actually mentions it. So my thought now is more leaning toward those hints should maybe get shuffled around, and some definitely need to be reworded to make them more clear, unless it's intentionally obscure :?:

I looked at the first couple probably up to my third time playing, since the campaign (which I started with) is like an integrated tutorial I didn't bother checking them after that. When I decided to look through later, I stopped at the point they seemed over my head, or at least mentioning things I hadn't seen in-game yet. The "invoke Q to release grip" tip was after some of those that seemed more advanced, and I don't think it was quite that obscure :lol:

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”