Dying in SP should be like in MP

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Nemoricus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Dying in SP should be like in MP

Post by Nemoricus »

Count me in with the people who'd like to see this as an option. Among other things, it would give you a reason to set up an assembly line for modular armor and its components, since you might lose it if you die.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I personnally like very much the idea of a research, that allows to discover cloning, and with that, a building to ... build and keep the clone functional.

Building a clone could be a long and ressource intensive process, each clone would act as a "life" for you, the cost in time and ressource should be high enough, and the upkeep to keep the clone "alive" too, so that the game doesn't favor the suicide strategy (Rush the nest, explode with maximum biters, come back, rice and repeat).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vampiricdust »

The suicide strategy is a good point, but do keep in mind that strategy is not fun and even with a short respawn timer is still more frustrating than building what you need to survive. Remember, this is probably just for free play as I really don't think campaign should have it. Players being free to play how the want is always good.

I'd rather see a trigger on player death to have the biters create new nests. So even if you're suiciding, the biters will grow faster than you can suicide. Meaning if you don't survive long enough to kill more nests than will be replaced, you're not getting any progress.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

The thing is that ... a trigger that respawn biters seems just to be a game mechanic to limit player suicide strategy ... and that's all, no reason why a player's death should trigger a respawn surge. It just feels like "well we devs want to set limits to you dying so if you do it too much, the game will become unplayable". On the other hand, cloning adds some gameplay value, is quite logical, and integrates reasonably to Factorio's "feel" imho : you could have to research it, automate it, feed it with enough ressources/energy, and make wise use of it.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vampiricdust »

It wouldn't respawn anything, just trigger the biters to expand, which they already do on their own. This could be limited down to a player dying by a biter or worm, but would have to test it out. Seems silly to add in technology & infrastructure for something you're not supposed to use that often. The biters creating one or two nests when you die removes any suicide advantage without actually adding anything new to the game.

Why shouldn't it trigger enemy surge? How many base strategy games do you play? It's always a good idea to expand when your enemy is weakened. The biters are already weak & boring as it is. Let them have at least 1 brain cell. Of course the game is going to become unplayable at a point. If you run out of materials, game over. Player respawning isn't suppose to allow infinite play, just remove the annoyance of reloading all the time.

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

I'd like to see that too. It could make some players (not everyone) automate armor modules production. Right now, these are crafted once for all in the game. If I could respawn, I think I'd be more fearless with biters, and I'd want to get my armor back quickly after dying. More automation = good, right ?

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”