Research Queue

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Research Queue

Post by Gandalf »

Haven't seen this one around before, so here goes.

The idea is really quite simple: Allow queueing of research to be done automatically in a given order.
Quite often you already know the next three or four researches you're going to pick. Right now you need to remember those until the next research is done (which happens almost exclusively while you're in the midst of battle and really don't have time for this right now).

Similar to how you have a crafting queue you should be able to just add a research to the queue, instead of replacing the current one. If you want to abort you have to do it manually by clicking on the icon at the top right (or somewhere else).

Interesting question would be whether it should be possible to queue research that isn't actually available just yet, but will be once some other research in the queue in front of it has been finished.

Pros (+) and cons (-) as far as I see them:
+ Efficient, does away with a minor annoyance
+ in the spirit of ”automate all the things”, even though it's not technically automated via some in-game entity
+ Probably doable without adding much to the UI. Basically you'd just need a line of queued research icons, for example at the bottom of the science window

- Kind of ”removes game play”, as in, keeping in mind your research plans is sort of a minor side challenge. With this you could more or less forget about research for a while as long as it keeps running.
- May still be complicated for some people

Let me know what you think! :D
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Research Queue

Post by sillyfly »

I like it. Having a mental list of techs I need to research adds nothing to the gameplay for me, so I'd love to have the game remember it for me.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Reminds me to my first suggestion: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ?f=6&t=721 :D
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gandalf »

ssilk wrote:Reminds me to my first suggestion: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ?f=6&t=721 :D
Oh that is precious. Seems like great minds think alike. x)
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”