Energy Shield icons

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Glockshna
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Energy Shield icons

Post by Glockshna »

This may be incorrect and if so I apologize for the implication but the Energy Shield icons look A LOT like the shield booster icon from Eve Online and if they in fact were taken from the client you should change them in your next patch to something you have the rights to distribute and charge for because CCP would not take kindly to you profiting off of their intellectual property. Just a friendly heads up. Keep doing what you're doing though, I love the game!

Here is the wiki for Eve Online's shield booster modules: https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Item ... d_Boosters
Again if I'm wrong I apologize.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Energy Shield icons

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Glockshna
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Glockshna »

Thanks, but seeing as the only other post on this subject was nearly 3 months ago and recieved developer response, and still nothing has been done about it is a problem that should be taken seriously.
It is better to create placeholder icons (even if it's just text) than to use the intellectual property (IP) of another company without consent for a commercial product and from what I've read in that post Eve Online (CCP) isn't the only IP being infringed upon here. With that being said perhaps a duplicate post is necessary to impress the gravity of the situation upon the developers. As soon as this game started being sold for profit the use of these icons became an infringement on the IP rights of the owners of the aforementioned IPs. The longer this goes on the higher the chances are that the owners of the IPs will act on the infringement.

That's all I'll say on the subject. I would caution the developer to take this warning seriously. The game is in very early alpha, players who would buy into an early alpha will understand the use of placeholder text icons.

Regards

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Glockshna wrote:Thanks, but seeing as the only other post on this subject was nearly 3 months ago and recieved developer response, and still nothing has been done about it is a problem that should be taken seriously.
It is better to create placeholder icons (even if it's just text) than to use the intellectual property (IP) of another company without consent for a commercial product and from what I've read in that post Eve Online (CCP) isn't the only IP being infringed upon here. With that being said perhaps a duplicate post is necessary to impress the gravity of the situation upon the developers. As soon as this game started being sold for profit the use of these icons became an infringement on the IP rights of the owners of the aforementioned IPs. The longer this goes on the higher the chances are that the owners of the IPs will act on the infringement.

That's all I'll say on the subject. I would caution the developer to take this warning seriously. The game is in very early alpha, players who would buy into an early alpha will understand the use of placeholder text icons.

Regards
Thanks for the reminder. You are absolutely right. Yes, these things should be taken seriously especially if we are selling the game. We have put a temporary icon for the shield to the 0.9. Also at the moment we are looking for graphic designer to make our own icons for all the items / entities to avoid this situation in the future.

Glockshna
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Glockshna »

slpwnd wrote:
Glockshna wrote:Thanks, but seeing as the only other post on this subject was nearly 3 months ago and recieved developer response, and still nothing has been done about it is a problem that should be taken seriously.

Regards
Thanks for the reminder. You are absolutely right. Yes, these things should be taken seriously especially if we are selling the game. We have put a temporary icon for the shield to the 0.9. Also at the moment we are looking for graphic designer to make our own icons for all the items / entities to avoid this situation in the future.
Awesome, I hate to have been a dick there but I really don't want to see you guys suffer for something so simple.

Pandamonium
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Pandamonium »

slpwnd wrote:Yes, these things should be taken seriously especially if we are selling the game.
This will be their main issue when going legal against you.

I'd really hate to see you guys come across any unnessasary legal trouble.

You need to reserve your precious time developing this awesome game! :)

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”