Grief: Recovering items from banned inventories

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Plawerth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Grief: Recovering items from banned inventories

Post by Plawerth »

When you ban someone, you've gotten rid of your griefer. But you also lost everything in their inventory they were carrying, probably lots of high value stuff.

Wouldn't it be better so that when you banned them, that somehow their entire inventory could be recovered and made available again to players?

Something like this. An admin types:
/ban Greefy

System message sent to admin:
Greefy banned. 405 items in 21 stacks found in inventory.
To make it available to all players, type: /recover Greefy

Admin types:
/recover Greefy

System message sent to everyone:
New items are available to all players from a banned player. To access, type: /recover

The griefer storage would then be virtualized without attempting to directly place it into chests in the world. This is like using the Essentials command "/echest" on modded Minecraft.

Any player can use the /recover command or click some GUI button to access the combined inventory of all banned players. An inventory window appears out of nowhere, and any player can remove items from it but not place new items back into it.

Since this would not necessarily be tied to the "physical chest with limited storage capacity" game concept, it could be designed instead as a single unlimited huge inventory of items arranged in pages, or auto-arranged in stacks by type. The number of pages or stacks automatically grows or shrinks in capacity as needed.

(If this can be accessed simultaneously by all players, need some way to make sure multiple players can't remove the same items from the shared inventory. I don't yet know how this is handled in multiplayer, when multiple people try to access the inventory of the same chest.)

Some way to make the banned player items automatically available to logistics would be useful, but I am not sure how to make the virtual to physical connection in a way that makes sense.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Grief: Recovering items from banned inventories

Post by Rseding91 »

I added a command "/open" in 0.15 that allows you to open and add/remove items from any player (offline or not) if you're an admin.

So you can just use that to get items from banned players.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

noliVe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by noliVe »

NICE!!!! even Banned players?

mattj256
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mattj256 »

Here's a mod that automatically puts your stuff in a chest when you die:
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Zinal/DeathChest

I think it would nice for this functionality to be available as an option in vanilla.

noliVe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by noliVe »

but that makes pvp Killing even more interesting ;)

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”