Multiplayer Mod Sync

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Vadise
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Multiplayer Mod Sync

Post by Vadise »

Greetings. I have recently found a group of friends to play Factorio with, and so far we all agree that mods make the game better in several aspects, and we always look into the portal for the newest, most interesting thing to date, try some mods and discard some others.

Since servers transfer the map over to the players when they connect, I thought perhaps adding the ability to also transfer the mod packages the server is using at the time of connection would speed things up. For example, when you connect and you dont have the same mods, instead of just closing the window that tells you so, there could be the option to temporarily (just for this game session) or permanently install the mods you dont have (And also temporarily disable the mods you have but the server does not).

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Multiplayer Mod Sync

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Quick Note. Also have it ask the Factorio mod server for a checksum. If the checksum doesn't match, or if the mod isn't on the mod portal, add popup window to warn you that it may be modified/isn't on the portal. Might help defend against malicious mods, given that the last post like this died that way.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Roxor128
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Roxor128 »

These days it'd be more typical to use a hash like SHA256 rather than just a checksum, but yeah, sharing lists of hashes and downloading the appropriate files from either the mod portal or another player could be a simple way to ensure everyone has the right mods.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This is plan for 0.16.
Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=32968 Collection of Of Ideas around Multiplayer: Lobby-Features, Joining, Mod&Game-Loading, ...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”