More logistics slots

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

More logistics slots

Post by jockeril »

I was gonna write a post about it when I decided to make a search first and found this here: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=3868
Khyron wrote:I would be happy with just one more tech level for player logistics slots. And another row for the toolbelt.

Switching between building fluid networks, rail networks, factory & belts as well as a set of combat related things I just don't quite have enough room. Compared with everything else in Factorio being so awesomely short-cut friendly, the player logistics slot and toolbelt feels like a bottleneck at the moment.
I want to promote both suggestions - another logistics slot row (yes - a whole row) and another belt row can be very useful in the game right now (we are at 0.11.18).

and visit the aforementioned post and promote it as well - those are also good ideas !
Last edited by jockeril on Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

AnarCon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: More logistics slots

Post by AnarCon »

ye more slots be nice, both inventory and logistics and hotbar, researchable ofc :)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Creating new research to increase player Logistic slots and Toolbars is doable with modding.
The inventory though can't currently be upgraded via research, some mods make it bigger by altering the player entity.

just pointing this out.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

bobingabout wrote:Creating new research to increase player Logistic slots and Toolbars is doable with modding.
The inventory though can't currently be upgraded via research, some mods make it bigger by altering the player entity.

just pointing this out.
"X is possible by modding" and "X should be in the base game" are not mutually exclusive.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I was near to move this to the balancing board. But then I thought why? Because this is no balancing issue, it points to a need. I also had this need several times, but then I changed my play style completely.

When you're in that stage of the game, you cannot hold that many items, that you need to build really fluidly. My opinion is really: having more logistic slots increase that problem. And we need to see that in context. For example, the devs have promised to implement a waste slot, things that I don't need anymore go back to the logistic network.

So the play style change looks for me about so: instead of building everything myself, I nearly always placed ghosts. Ghost buildings created by the bots, if you have automated production of that items. Which you should do to get that items.and it is a much faster building, cause you don't need to walk so near: you can draw anywhere on screen!

So I don't think extra logistic slots are really needed.

Instead I think we need:

- the ability to place any item as ghost, even if I don't have them in my inventory.
- sets of logistic slot configurations. Cause I see of course the need to switch between "tasks". (Like "building" or "fighting").
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

ssilk wrote: ... I also had this need several times, but then I changed my play style completely.

When you're in that stage of the game, you cannot hold that many items, that you need to build really fluidly. My opinion is really: having more logistic slots increase that problem. And we need to see that in context.
I think this is getting out of hand and taking a wrong turn. Didn't you ( ssilk ) say that a thread should stick to one idea / change request ? now we are talking about play style and soon this thread will move to another game altogether. let stay on track.

I agree that different people will have different play styles and thats ok, but that doesn't mean that we can't have changes made to support more that one play style. I've seen so many factory configuration that made my head spin and I know there more and that's great. I learn from every one. This request is something I'v seen most youtubers struggle with as do I and I think many others. I'd like to hear from the #devs on this.
For example, the devs have promised to implement a waste slot, things that I don't need anymore go back to the logistic network.
I support that idea and i have a suggestion - increase the size of the player inv. and make the last row, or five slots a reddish color for that purpose (don't steal slot from the existing inv.). This will satisfy the needs of some players who like to have hoards, like to ghost play (putting a ghost of structures) and its doable in little time since there is at least one mode that I'v seen that increased the size of the inv. - check out my response to bobingabout below,
So the play style change looks for me about so: instead of building everything myself, I nearly always placed ghosts. Ghost buildings created by the bots, if you have automated production of that items. Which you should do to get that items.and it is a much faster building, cause you don't need to walk so near: you can draw anywhere on screen!
See my previous statement.
bobingabout wrote:Creating new research to increase player Logistic slots and Toolbars is doable with modding.

just pointing this out.
a) The least you could do is add links to the forum threads for the Inventory size mod you mention,
b) What if those mods make other changes to the game that I don't want or like ?

It appears that you have programing knowledge and wanted to make the inv. size change using reseach in the past but decided to give up on it...

If I was a modder I might have made a mod to get the result I want, but since I'm not and I see others talking about it, I'm asking the community & devs for their opinion on adding this to the base game. So I guess you're not in favor of it ?

My mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- and steam !

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. Ok, I agree, it's not good style, but I have always reasons to intervene a suggestions in that way.

And to make it short and not going into details: you point with your fingers to a problem. I also see it. You are right. No question.
But your suggested solution is one of many options.
And that is the point, when I try to show another view to this problem, cause I have a quite different picture about a good solution of a problem. And cause I know the devs always preferred game mechanics with more than one use, I choose an option, which goes more into that direction. So maybe there are better options!

In other words: increasing the number of slots will help a lot, but not all. And the solution cannot be to add even more slots.

I had a lot more to say about it, but I think I stop here. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

ssilk wrote:- the ability to place any item as ghost, even if I don't have them in my inventory.
Definitely agree. Half of my toolbelt consists of items I only use to place ghosts. and I've modded in more toolbelt research, so I have twice as many slots as most of everyone else.
ssilk wrote:- sets of logistic slot configurations. Cause I see of course the need to switch between "tasks". (Like "building" or "fighting").
not as useful, but I do find it annoying when I want to request things to build a one off of a certain something, and have to reconfigure half my logistic slots, only to reconfigure them again afterwards. So I'll agree this is a good idea too.
jockeril wrote:It appears that you have programing knowledge and wanted to make the inv. size change using reseach in the past but decided to give up on it...
that forum topic actually does highlight how difficult it is to make a mod to be able to upgrade inventory size. as is highlighted there, it would have multiple instances of the player entity, and it changes between them as you research. it also highlights that not everything can be copied, such as any modular armor's contents, so anyone who doesn't read the warning, or perhaps in a multiplayer game, it would be quite annoying how your armor is deleted when you research a bigger inventory.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

Bobingabout wrote:
jockeril wrote:It appears that you have programing knowledge and wanted to make the inv. size change using reseach in the past but decided to give up on it...
that forum topic actually does highlight how difficult it is to make a mod to be able to upgrade inventory size. as is highlighted there, it would have multiple instances of the player entity, and it changes between them as you research. it also highlights that not everything can be copied, such as any modular armor's contents, so anyone who doesn't read the warning, or perhaps in a multiplayer game, it would be quite annoying how your armor is deleted when you research a bigger inventory.
But the issue there is about researching the change of the inventory and I'm talking about a primary and permanent change to inventory size like in the mod that actually made it... I'm looking for members that agree with this to encourage the #devs to make the change.

If you (not just Bobingabout) play Factorio with the infamous Inventory size mod, please voice your opinion in this thread - for or against making the mod a permanent change in-game, Thank you.

My mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- and steam !

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

bobingabout wrote:... I've modded in more toolbelt research, so I have twice as many slots as most of everyone else.
Can you explain to me how to do that or release that mod ? I'm interested in it and if it means more research is needed to get it - even better !

tnx

My mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- and steam !

Avarant
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Avarant »

jockeril wrote:
bobingabout wrote:... I've modded in more toolbelt research, so I have twice as many slots as most of everyone else.
Can you explain to me how to do that or release that mod ? I'm interested in it and if it means more research is needed to get it - even better !

tnx

It's quite easy to do these on your own (but of course that doesn't mean that the devs should disregard adding it into the base game). Here's some detailed instructions for ya:

For inventory size:

Go to the following folders inside your factorio directory:
Factorio/data/base/prototypes/entity
Open demo-entities.lua with a text editor
search for 'player' (without quotes) to find the player entity. It should be the 2nd hit, should be obvious
You will find things like inventory_size and running_speed. Inventory works pretty well at 100 for me. I also like to increase running speed for a faster paced game (now that there are spitters it doesn't make you invulnerable)

For extra logistic slots:

Factorio/data/base/prototypes/technology
open logistic-robot.lua with a text editor
At the end of this file are the character-logistic-slots upgrades
Simply clone the last one, and change the numbers (increase the number on the name, the prerequisite, and increase the final letter on the order. It's fairly easy to see the pattern from the previous upgrades)
Important: If you're increasing slots to a saved game, you MUST add new technologies to be researched. Otherwise if you're lazy, you can just increase the modifier of the earlier technologies. i.e. the first two techs will give you 10 slots each, instead of 5.

For more toolbelt:

I haven't done this one yet personally, but it should likely work just like the logistic slots as the code is quite similar.

Factorio/data/base/prototypes/technology
open technology.lua with a text editor
search for toolbelt
Again, follow the instructions like the character logistic slot upgrades. Either increase the modifier, or duplicate the technology while increasing the increments of name/prerequisites/order of the 2nd tech (so the game knows it's the 2nd tech and not the first).

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”