Has anyone considered a belt tile that splits left and right

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Has anyone considered a belt tile that splits left and right

Post by mrvn »

I know you can use a splitter and 4 undergound belts to split the left side of a belt to the right and the right side of the belt to the left. But that is awfully complex and expensive for something that is mechanically trivial. So instead why not have a special belt tile that forms a T. Items enter from the bottom and the left side of the belt leaves to the left and the right side of the belt to the right, both on the bottom lane of the sideways going belts. This wouldn't be smart or balance or pick anything. Simply split the two lanes of a belt. So no electronics or anything. Should just need iron plate and iron gear. Same ingredients as a normal belt or maybe an extra gear.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Has anyone considered a belt tile that splits left and right

Post by Koub »

There has already been a mod for that, but several times, the devs have stated that the "logistic capacities" of the belts/splitters were just what they should be, and that there would not be new things on that topic.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Yeah, there's a lot of random little things players want belts to be able to do. Smart splitters are another one where you can filter items into lanes or whatever, the crossover belt to do what you seem to originally be trying to achieve, there's more I'm sure. They all have good points as to why it would be useful but to add them all would make the game way too complex. It's not about making things easy with one item, it's about coming up with a tidy solution. It might not even be about doing that particular thing, you might want to go further up the chain and fix the problem at source. This is the beauty of the game.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

mrvn wrote:I know you can use a splitter and 4 undergound belts to split the left side of a belt to the right and the right side of the belt to the left.
You need only 2 underground belts.

See https://wiki.factorio.com/Underground_b ... Swap_lanes
This second example can be also rebuilt to 2 UG-Belts.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Moved to Outdated/Not Implemented cause won't be implemented
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

ssilk wrote:
mrvn wrote:I know you can use a splitter and 4 undergound belts to split the left side of a belt to the right and the right side of the belt to the left.
You need only 2 underground belts.

This second example can be also rebuilt to 2 UG-Belts.
The top half of the second example is even better. I often don't want to swap sidea at all, just separate them. Didn't notice that you can side load onto the exit of an underground belt like that. The second example does require a yellow and red underground though. I don't like how using just 2 undergound belts makes it vulnerable to interference from other nearby underground belts though. Like when you build two of those next to each other.

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”