[0.12.x] RSO Discussion thread

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.12.x] RSO Discussion thread

Post by Arch666Angel »

So I got to work on the idea i pitched myself and created a mod thats a mix of deepores and endless ore. It has vanilla ores with endless values, as well as new infinite ore entites that give the same vanilla ores, e.g. coal and infinite coal.
Now I want them to always spawn in pairs -> Game spawns a coal deposit, always spawn a infinite coal deposit next to it. Spawns like the ones in the example Picture, but they should be closer together.
Attachments
example2.jpg
example2.jpg (295.15 KiB) Viewed 7018 times
example1.jpg
example1.jpg (170.89 KiB) Viewed 7018 times

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

There is no support currently for spawning nearby but without the randomness. Each new resource is rolled in the whole area again.

To answer your previous question - changing region size won't help you with this also.

Adding a way to "link" resource to another one for generation purposes would be pretty tricky.
It could be easier to make it generate center of patch (above certain density) using the infinite ore instead of normal one. It would need infinite ores that your mod adds to have consistent naming schema and some small code change in generation algorithm to detect them and take them into account.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

I'm no code monkey, but i tried to Name them just by putting the "infinite-" tag in front of the regular names.

And the generate in Center of a patch would be perfect. I'm still tinkering around with it, but i can send you a copy if you like

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

I used this mod once before. It was pretty cool, but I ran into an issue.
When I tried to make a new map with it with later versions, It would not spawn the mini-ore patches. The first time, I got a ton of tiny, 4-8 ore patches scattered around, then the advertised massive patches seriously spread out.

However, now, I only get the large patches, and not reliably enough to even start the game. I cannot locate patches of all four resources before I really start running out of the starting area. Those mini-patches were critical to starting until you had train-tier mining going on.

Is there a setting that got disabled? Were those unintentional? Did a bug break that mechanic?
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Arch666Angel wrote:I'm no code monkey, but i tried to Name them just by putting the "infinite-" tag in front of the regular names.

And the generate in Center of a patch would be perfect. I'm still tinkering around with it, but i can send you a copy if you like
I'd need the mod to add support for it. It would be good if you have final name for it and ore names. infinite-prefix is ok - I'd recommend to add also somemod related prefix to that.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Ranakastrasz wrote:I used this mod once before. It was pretty cool, but I ran into an issue.
When I tried to make a new map with it with later versions, It would not spawn the mini-ore patches. The first time, I got a ton of tiny, 4-8 ore patches scattered around, then the advertised massive patches seriously spread out.

However, now, I only get the large patches, and not reliably enough to even start the game. I cannot locate patches of all four resources before I really start running out of the starting area. Those mini-patches were critical to starting until you had train-tier mining going on.

Is there a setting that got disabled? Were those unintentional? Did a bug break that mechanic?
There was a lot of talking at some point how older RSO version is better then new ones and this change is a direct effect of that.
Ore generation parameteres have been changed to make bigger and less frequent patches - thats by design.

If you are running out of starting ore you can easily make it more abundant by modyfing starting_richness_mult in config file. I'm usually playing with 2 both for starting area and overall multipliers due to lots of mods and stuff like science cost tweaker.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Ore generation parameteres have been changed to make bigger and less frequent patches - thats by design.
Well yes, that was kinda the whole idea of the mod. The thing was that in addition to the massive deposits, there were also a ton of tiny deposits, which you could mine until you found large ones.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

By tiny do you mean the single-tile ones?

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

There were 4-8 tiles per patch
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Ranakastrasz wrote:There were 4-8 tiles per patch
Tbh I haven't seen any code that would be responsible for generating those.
Multiple resource spawn could give this impression (it was quite frequent before it's a bit lower now) but I'm still not sure if thats what are you referring to. And usually it's configured to create different resource then the main spawn.

It is possible that before making resource patches bigger lower size limit would spawn small resource field - but it would be mostly alone not spawned near a big one.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Here is one of the old saves. Used RSO 1.0.2, apperently.
I imagine me and my friend game up on it after trying around 5 maps using RSO, and being unable to find one where you could get serious resource patches before having to go into heavy fighting. However, this one at least shows the mini-patches scattered around.
Not sure how much that would help.

Screenshot
http://i.imgur.com/8HJCzhl.png
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Ranakastrasz wrote:Here is one of the old saves. Used RSO 1.0.2, apperently.
I imagine me and my friend game up on it after trying around 5 maps using RSO, and being unable to find one where you could get serious resource patches before having to go into heavy fighting. However, this one at least shows the mini-patches scattered around.
Not sure how much that would help.

Screenshot
http://i.imgur.com/8HJCzhl.png
By mini-patches you mean those sparse fields with dozen clusters each?
I'm not sure how they were created but RSO code was configured to make quite solid patches from when I took it over.
There might been some bugs that would cause creation of fields like that but I don't recall any.

If you ahve problems with not being able to get to the ores then richness multiplier is the way to go. You have mods there that are meant to make the game harder I think so more resources at start might be required.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Well that was from a while ago, and I know I need more resources.

Still, I think that the minipatches are a critically important part of the mod.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Ranakastrasz wrote:Well that was from a while ago, and I know I need more resources.

Still, I think that the minipatches are a critically important part of the mod.
I'm not sure why do you so critically need mini patches?
Most people expect a lot bigger but rare patches to get trains going and to have enogh resources in patch to make it worth mining.

I can see how they were made - it was partially modified base game ore generation that was left enabled by default in 1.0.2.
It's no longer used currently.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Because, while Bigger and rare patches is the idea, earlier in the game, you need to be able to get resources still.

However, I will try it again with maximized base resources at some point.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Ranakastrasz wrote:Because, while Bigger and rare patches is the idea, earlier in the game, you need to be able to get resources still.

However, I will try it again with maximized base resources at some point.
That was main reason I split the starting and overall resource multipliers. Try to set starting one 2 or 3 and see if it's enough to grab other patches. When playing multiplayer make sure both configs are identical.

Looking at that save - enemy density was way up from RSO normally puts up. I think some of mods you have are making biters spread much faster so getting to far away resources is made more difficult.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Well, at the time, yes, that is true, but I am not using that particular mod at this time.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

You can try infinite resources in the starting area, and regular resources on the rest of the map :P

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

Is it possible for a mod to specify how its ores are handled by RSO? Or does RSO need to have a config submitted which is part of all RSO installs?

Im making a sort of mod pack that builds on and modifies several large mods including Dytech and Bobs mods, and Id like the pack to require RSO be installed, to handle the resource spawns.

The end result is intended to be lots of different minerals, with different production chains, that may or may not spawn nearby. So lots of minerals that all give the basic metals needed for production, each with only a low percentage chance of spawning on any given patch. Not all of the minerals would have room to be in the initial starting area, either. Some would be relatively common (iron ore patches for instance) while others would be vanishingly rare (native gold outcroppings come to mind).

Id ideally like to be able to have a config file that is included with my mod, that RSO sees and uses settings from to populate spawns - and ideally Id like it to use these settings exclusively, overriding anything intended by Bobs mods or Dytech.

Thanks for your time.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Currently RSO uses only included config files.

I'm not sure how much work would be to add support for external configuration. One of potential problems with that is the validation of such configuration to make sure nothing will crash if given config file is invalid. There was some talking about interface to add the configuration as alternative solution - it still has the validation requirement.

Since config works on functions now I'm not sure if the way that bob's mods are using would work - I'd need to check that.

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”