RSO Ore Generation

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

xInflictz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

RSO Ore Generation

Post by xInflictz »

Post is a mess. Not exactly the best writer. Not a hate post. Just suggestions.

Every world generation I go through seems to have ores generated that aren't in my favor. I know not everyone likes my style of ore placement and such but can I suggest more config settings? For example, a huge improvement would allow the user to set the distance that ores generate. Or even a range. That way ores aren't intersecting with each other. For people that like smaller patches this may not be a problem but for people in favor of huge patches this is a problem. Another problem is the ores generating on top of water. I think an option to choose how far ores generate from the starting water point would be great. Having ores generate over water is annoying because it messes with miner placement and it also forces you to make your power further away. The random holes inside ore patches is also unfavorable. Even without donut shapes toggled, ore patches still tend to have an empty spot in the middle. The final "problem" is that there seems to be a trend in the size of ore patches. Every time I generate a world, with ore generation sizes set to the same percentage, the ores still tend to generate very unequally. I know it sounds like I'm complaining but I'm really just trying to suggest new options so the mod can appeal to all types of Factorio players.

I'm aware map editor is a thing but it seems cheaty to build your ores exactly where you want them. That's why the generator is better. You are forced to work with what you get, but at the same time not have to go out of your way to generate something you can actually work with (To avoid annoyances).
If we could all use map editor to make our maps then mods like this wouldn't exist. But I think it's obvious not everyone wants to make their map.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ores generating through water.
Ores generating through water.
Capture.PNG (1.39 MiB) Viewed 4425 times
Ores all touching each other and right on top of water.
Ores all touching each other and right on top of water.
Capture1.PNG (2.37 MiB) Viewed 4425 times
Ores all touching each other and on top of water.
Ores all touching each other and on top of water.
Capture2.PNG (3.1 MiB) Viewed 4425 times
Ores overlapping each other again and also generating through water.
Ores overlapping each other again and also generating through water.
Capture3.PNG (1.79 MiB) Viewed 4425 times
Two ore patches colliding with huge coal patch. ( For some reason the coal patch is much bigger than the other ore patches even though they should be the same size in settings.. )
Two ore patches colliding with huge coal patch. ( For some reason the coal patch is much bigger than the other ore patches even though they should be the same size in settings.. )
Capture4.PNG (2.86 MiB) Viewed 4425 times
Map is almost perfect but there's a random hole inside the coal patch and stone is colliding with it.
Map is almost perfect but there's a random hole inside the coal patch and stone is colliding with it.
Capture5.PNG (8.68 MiB) Viewed 4425 times
Size, frequency, and richness are all at the same settings. Yet it's very obvious that iron is the biggest, coal is the second biggest, stone is the third, and copper is the smallest. Comparing each ore to the one that's one place ahead of it doesn't seem that bad. But comparing the smallest and the biggest ore patch is a huge difference. Ideally, the ore patches should be roughly the same size. But the trend seems to be that the ores get smaller and smaller.<br /><br />Iron ore also generating inside the water. Copper for some reason is separated into two patches.
Size, frequency, and richness are all at the same settings. Yet it's very obvious that iron is the biggest, coal is the second biggest, stone is the third, and copper is the smallest. Comparing each ore to the one that's one place ahead of it doesn't seem that bad. But comparing the smallest and the biggest ore patch is a huge difference. Ideally, the ore patches should be roughly the same size. But the trend seems to be that the ores get smaller and smaller.

Iron ore also generating inside the water. Copper for some reason is separated into two patches.
Capture6.PNG (47.63 KiB) Viewed 4425 times

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: RSO Ore Generation

Post by orzelek »

From your post I'm assuming you want different mod actually.
There are mods that spawn ore very regularly and in certain patterns. And RSO is not meant to be like that.

Your screens also show that you are using pretty big ore patch sizes. The bigger the patch the worse it will get due to some limits I have in mainly due to performance of ore generation. In theory I could make it have completly no overlaps at all but I think you would be risking heavy game stutter each time ore patch is generated.

Also you seem to be showing starting location only. You are not supposed to have such big ore patches in it really.. I might need to limit size scaling for starting area.
RSO is meant to make you go about the map and explore it to find ores and have to organize logistics around that.

Starting area seems to get really cramped with such big patches and that could be improved a bit in generation algorithm.

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”