My First Factory (Opinions)

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

How good?

Good
45%
Meh. Could be better (please specify).
55%
Bad (please specify).
No votes

Total votes: 11

JaegerBudgie
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

My First Factory (Opinions)

Post by JaegerBudgie »

Hey! So, I just got Factorio today, and well, this is my first factory. Took me a few hours, any opinions or tips? :D http://i.imgur.com/agbC800.jpg
Attachments
Screenshot (18).png
Screenshot (18).png (1.93 MiB) Viewed 14179 times
Herpderp. I'm an electric mining drill.

Rockstar04
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: My First Factory (Opinions)

Post by Rockstar04 »

There are so many ways to make any factory, but for just getting the game today, you are already picking up on stuff just fine, You should checkout the Clever builds thread if you want some good guidance on some of the coolor, more complex things you can do

Arcanecast
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Arcanecast »

Pretty good for a first factory but there are a lot of inefficient things here. 1)If you put your iron ore on one side of the belt you could put your coal on the other side of the belt and then just add regular inserters and they would grab which ever they needed(you could do this with your copper too). 2)Don't use fast inserters for the input to your turrets 1. Its a waste of resources. 2. They grab the ammo so fast that it doesn't give the rest of the ammo time to go farther down the belt. Thats pretty much it great first factory!
AC

JaegerBudgie
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by JaegerBudgie »

Alright, thanks guys! Arcane, I'll check out the thread. Rockstar, thanks for the tips, I'll try and incorporate them into my design. :D
Herpderp. I'm an electric mining drill.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

That feeling when you play factorio first time, i would want to experience it at least few times, not that i want to wipe my memory or anything but the feeling of placing your first burner drill is just awesome.

Rockstar04
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Rockstar04 »

Arcanecast wrote:Pretty good for a first factory but there are a lot of inefficient things here. 1)If you put your iron ore on one side of the belt you could put your coal on the other side of the belt and then just add regular inserters and they would grab which ever they needed(you could do this with your copper too). 2)Don't use fast inserters for the input to your turrets 1. Its a waste of resources. 2. They grab the ammo so fast that it doesn't give the rest of the ammo time to go farther down the belt. Thats pretty much it great first factory!
Arcanecast has some good points, but there will be a point where having coal nad ore on the same belt cant keep up with a handful of steel furnaces, it all depends on how fast you plan on expanding.

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

I'd add one point that to me is super important :
your coal line servicing the iron melting part should be the other way,
you want coal to first power boilers so you always get power, and then power the furnaces
a shortage in smelted iron is way less of a problem than a shortage of power !

plus (maybe) the chests you have at the end of you lines prevent your coal to build up
buffer chests are good, but they need to be able to unload before where their content is used
(what you did with copper plates is a good start !

and for a first map, these are all you really need to know, everything else, it will be better for you to find about it yourself

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

if you can, next time turn on (click) alt mode so we can see what is being produced where and etc. :)

But definitely... it looks good for just being a few hours in. like.. really good looking honestly.
just a few hours? have you watched a lot of streamers/video's before playing?
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

Return to “Show your Creations”