1 science pack / second

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

AmigoGumball
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

1 science pack / second

Post by AmigoGumball »

So, I've just started a new factorio save, and i decided that I wanted to research one science "point" every second, giving very fast research through the mid - early game. My setup ATM can research plastics (requiring 100 of each red and green packs) in 120 seconds, as 30 labs work in unison rather than at their own pace. I'm hopefully going to do the same with blue science once I've set up oil.

A production system able to keep up with 30 labs requires:
6.6666... red science pack blue assemblers, which we round to 7.
8 green science blue assemblers
16 blue science blue assemblers, although producing red circuits this fast may be problematic :lol:
1.6 alien science blue assemblers, rounded up to 2.
Screenshots
This is an almost typical, if not space/looks optimized design, so I don't see why everyone advises maybe 8 - 10 labs, as long as you have the resources there's no reason not to have that many labs. In fact, research speed could be increased through the use of buffer chests to store science packs for when research is carried out in more labs, although this wouldn't help much because research is sequential (one after the other) and continuous meaning the system wouldn't get enough breaks to refill them.

The pace is ridiculous, though I'm sure everyone else can do better. (Was that a challenge? :D )

MadZuri
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: 1 science pack / second

Post by MadZuri »

You are going to have problems with providing the smart inserter assembly machine with enough green circuits. You may want to consider several, and yes, gonna need a LOT of green circuits. I also recommend having several oil industries, instead of trying to have a massive one that provides 2 products that rely on petroleum gas. Balance issues becomes a problem. A quick glance at Factorio Ratio may help, but it is a little off on oil and miners. Experimentation is your best bet; prototypes beat all the pretty spreadsheets in the world. You are doing good work, keep it up.

AmigoGumball
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AmigoGumball »

Yeah... I see what you mean. This can be arranged :)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Personnally, even with 10 labs, research goes faster than the building of the factory that can feed the research (or use what I have discovered).
I had to get Marathon mod to be able to "wait" for the research.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

joon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by joon »

I also only use 10 and go later with 25 if I have a huge factory.

The thing is with 30 labs is that you waste a lot of science packs. For example, with your setup (30), you waste 20 science pack of each on a researchx100. 3x30=90 and then for the last 10 it activates all the labs again and wastes 20 science packs of each.

Hope it helps :)

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

AmigoGumball wrote:So, I've just started a new factorio save, and i decided that I wanted to research one science "point" every second, giving very fast research through the mid - early game. My setup ATM can research plastics (requiring 100 of each red and green packs) in 120 seconds, as 30 labs work in unison rather than at their own pace. I'm hopefully going to do the same with blue science once I've set up oil.

A production system able to keep up with 30 labs requires:
6.6666... red science pack blue assemblers, which we round to 7.
8 green science blue assemblers
16 blue science blue assemblers, although producing red circuits this fast may be problematic :lol:
1.6 alien science blue assemblers, rounded up to 2.
Screenshots
This is an almost typical, if not space/looks optimized design, so I don't see why everyone advises maybe 8 - 10 labs, as long as you have the resources there's no reason not to have that many labs. In fact, research speed could be increased through the use of buffer chests to store science packs for when research is carried out in more labs, although this wouldn't help much because research is sequential (one after the other) and continuous meaning the system wouldn't get enough breaks to refill them.

The pace is ridiculous, though I'm sure everyone else can do better. (Was that a challenge? :D )
10 labs is down to most of the research is a multipul of 10.
so if you 30 labs for research of 100 (30 then 60 then 90 then 120) a lost of 20 (note devs may have fixs this in next upday)
buffer chests can work if you can make more than you can use. ie
7 or 8 red science pack blue assemblers
9 green science blue assemblers
17 blue science blue assemblers,
2 alien science blue assemblers,
one more think to no the labs research have different run times some.
Automation is 10s
Oil processing is 30s

edit 300 post :D

Return to “Show your Creations”