Non-optimal\Low Power Detection(Tunable)

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

Anfo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Non-optimal\Low Power Detection(Tunable)

Post by Anfo »

I found a way to detect Non-optimal\Low power and thought I would share.

The system incorporates steam power when there is a spike or when power is non-optimal.
Pic v2.0
Pic v2.0
Edit v2.jpg (892.48 KiB) Viewed 3929 times
Long story short when the yellow(Mains power) is low it doesn't supply enough water and causes the light's to turn on

The idea would be to hook this up to your offshore pumps for your Steam grid then connect your steam grid to your main Grid.

The less water in the system the better the system functions to a point i have about 15 in there and it seems very responsive if you want it to kick in slower just add more water you can also tune it with the arethmetic combinators.

My system currently resets to normal after Power production > Power consumption.

Normal state
Pump Array A @ max power pump faster then Pump Array B @ 100% power

Failed State
Pump array A @ X% power pump slower then Pump Array B @ 100% power

Note: you need liquid in the system to get it to work so connect a offshore pump then disconnect after a 1 or 2 seconds.(Unless you want to tune it for higher amounts of water or you want a delay before the system triggers your steam power grid)

Version 2.1 Blueprint
Power Cherker v2.1.txt
Blueprint V2.1
(771 Bytes) Downloaded 101 times
Legacy
Last edited by Anfo on Thu May 05, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 7 times in total.

sckuzzle
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Non-optimal\Low Power Detection(Tunable)

Post by sckuzzle »

One idea I had for such as a system is that you may be able to use it to detect how low on power you are. That would allow you, for example, to turn on half of your backup power at 30% accumulator power and the other half at 10%. Any ideas on how you would implement it such that it resets to normal after?

Anfo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Anfo »

sckuzzle wrote:One idea I had for such as a system is that you may be able to use it to detect how low on power you are. That would allow you, for example, to turn on half of your backup power at 30% accumulator power and the other half at 10%. Any ideas on how you would implement it such that it resets to normal after?
Thanks Sckuzzle your idea sounds cool.

Unfortunately at the moment the system only triggers when you are hitting non-optimal power(when consumption > production).

I did a another build that was only triggering when power dipped below around 35%(production vs Consumption)

That was 2 storage tanks 2 pumping water out and 1 pumping water back in.

You could tune and tweak the system a bit and get cretin pumps to only turn on once the output grater then or less then X (Right now its just putting output to 1)

My system currently resets to normal after production > consumption.
I should of explained this in my first post.

Normal state
4 pumps @ max power pump faster then 3 pumps @ max power

Failed State
4 Pumps @ X% power pump slower then 3 pumps @ max power
(haven't got the exact % yet but by the looks of it it is some where 75-95% also have to factor that the top pumps have to pump water further)

AutoMcD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AutoMcD »

Interesting idea but I had a very time trying to figure out how it works from your description, you sort of skipped the basic rundown and went straight into decider details! I'm left to work out the maze of pipes in the screenshot to see what these pumps are doing.

Anfo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Anfo »

AutoMcD wrote:Interesting idea but I had a very time trying to figure out how it works from your description, you sort of skipped the basic rundown and went straight into decider details! I'm left to work out the maze of pipes in the screenshot to see what these pumps are doing.
Thanks for the Feedback AutoMcD.

Its all about the pumps you can mostly ignore everything else.

I have made a much simpler design this will hopefully clear things up a bit i will post it soon.

*Just posted hopefully this helps.

AutoMcD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AutoMcD »

This is much easier to understand, thank you. :)
Very clever

Guu
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Guu »

it can be made much simpler and does not lose sensitivity
Attachments
image.gif
image.gif (7.75 MiB) Viewed 3825 times

magals
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by magals »

Guu wrote:it can be made much simpler and does not lose sensitivity
thx man) it's my solution)
PS. ML from vk.com

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

MadZuri has made something in the same spirit a while ago: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10268

His setup not only detects "low power" with pumps, it also directly converts the resulting change in water flow into steam power. No combinators are required at all, it's completely analog. On page 2 of that thread there is an application by DaveMcW where you can see how to use it as a backup power provider.
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

Return to “Show your Creations”