Space Elevator not working

Looking for a mod? Have a review on a mod you'd like to share?
Canyon Man
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Space Elevator not working

Post by Canyon Man »

I just built my space elevator, and I can't get trains to go through it on auto. I can drive them through on manual, but when I put them on auto, they go in and get stuck. The engine appears on the other side, but doesn't come out. It gets stuck and says "no path". I can switch it to manual and drive it forward a few feet, then switch it back to auto, and it will go to it's destination. I have hundreds of hours of experience with factorio, and have used trains extensively, although I do not use the FTN mod, and never have. But, I have hundreds of trains running to multiple destinations on auto, so I understand pathing and signals. The space elevator is plugging up the line. It will not show me a clean path to any destination on the other side of the elevator from either surface. I tried picking it up and moving it to a new spot, and that did not work. I tried setting up a super simple loop on each surface with a single tract, no intersections, and just one stop on each surface. It will not show a clean pathing to the stop on the other surface. I can put the train in manual and run around and around the loop from surface to surface with no problem, but in auto, it gets stuck in the elevator.

I am obviously missing something simple in the design of the elevator, but I've tried everything I can think of.

Please help.

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Space Elevator not working

Post by robot256 »

The Space Elevator is essentially a hack to get around the fact that Factorio has no concept of a multi-surface train. It will never report a valid path to a stop on a different surface--the path only becomes valid after SE copies (technically it's not teleporting) the train to the other side of the elevator. That's why you have to insert the elevator as a stop in the schedule (once for up and once for down) so the train knows to path to the elevator before its next actual stop. That's also why SE adds a new station-picking GUI, so you can access stops on a different surface.

If the first loco is never moved to the new surface, the path to the stops on that surface will never appear valid. (Things get complicated if you have stops on both surfaces with the same name.). The elevator normally auto-detects trains that enter it, and moves it to the new surface one wagon at a time. The train will start pathing to the next stop on the new surface as soon as the first loco makes it through.

Is the elevator fully supplied with both energy and elevator cable? The elevator GUI should show a message if it is not functioning. Also, are you sure there is space at the exit on the other surface? Either of these can cause trains to enter the elevator but not be moved to the new surface.

Some screenshots would help debug your setup, or if you have Discord the SE Discord server is very active and helpful.

reactchemicals
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by reactchemicals »

I can't get the train on auto to go through the space elevator. It goes up or down the elevator on one side with no problem then gets stuck and gives me a "no path" on the other side.
I'm using a very simple oval track on both sides with one train stop on each side.

I thank you in advance for any help you can give

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

The only way we can know what is broken is if you post screenshots of your tracks, train schedules, and space elevator GUI control panel.

reactchemicals
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by reactchemicals »

Space Elevator.pdf
(779.56 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
Not sure if the image posted

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

Thanks, that's what we need. Your schedule is incomplete--it stops after going up to orbit because the next stop is back to loading on nauvis and it can't get there.

The train schedule should be Load -> elevator up -> Unload -> elevator down. When the train is on the ground, you have to add the stations in orbit using the new lefthand GUI because the vanilla GUI won't allow stops on another surface.

reactchemicals
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by reactchemicals »

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to analyze my issue and responding with a clear and easy-to-understand
method of correcting it. It is working like a charm

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

You're very welcome. Have a happy new year!

Return to “Questions, reviews and ratings”