Train automation question

Looking for a mod? Have a review on a mod you'd like to share?
Ignalion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Train automation question

Post by Ignalion »

Hi, guys.

So, I have a base. I play with RSO, so the base is rather big. I'm aiming for 1RPM so it is really BIG. Not in terms of factories amount, but in map size.
As per now, it was ok for me to have train which goes from point A to point B, let's say, from mine to smelting place and from smelting place to two or three bases and it worked like a charm. But while the base grows it becomes more and more hard to have each train goes only one route. So I started to think over mods.

I've found that LTN mod and looks like it can solve my issues, however, as per my understanding, the task for train starts only when provider can provide resource and requester is requesting it. And with RSO (and 100+ hours of playing) the time to travel from point A to point B starts to take... well time. Lika a minute, and when we're talking about fast and efficient resource delivery 1 minute is a lot of time.

My need is rather simple, I have, let's say, 20 mines with ore load, 3 station with ore unload and i want some solution to have trains that go pick resources from that mines whatever can provide ore atm and go unload them to one of 3 stations that have need for it. And ofc to have possibility to add one or two trains to this system like just create them and say "Now you guys serving this route". And ofc I think some refueling station would be great.

Some advises how can I achieve this? Is it even possible? I understand the issue is that in Factorio train can't make decisions while on route or pick what station to go next, but maybe some of the mods solves this issue...

rushzx
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Train automation question

Post by rushzx »

Hi Ignalion and guys!
I want to share my decision. Have 1kSPM vanilla railworld railyard factory. Not so good in English, I'm from Ukraine ;) So will try to explain how I can.
Here my setup with iron ore: 6 mine station, 4 Trains 1-4, 2 smelting station

All trains shedule:
O Iron ore (offer)
- Full Cargo
N Iron ore (need)
- Empty Cargo

Trick in the condition for enable and DISABLE a station:
For Offer station:
-Enable if chests > 50%
-Disable if chests < one train
So when station become enabled all 5 train travel to that station, emptying it and do not toch that station until it is full for 50%. It gives trains time to serve other stations

For Need station the same
-Enable if chests < 50%
-Disable if chests > (100% - one train)

some pics:

I will be grateful if someone explains in his own words

PyroFire
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Train automation question

Post by PyroFire »

Trains are not meant to be used en-masse.

They're intended to be used for point to point transportation over long distances.

You're better off building one large train station than a lot of small ones.

So to answer your question, you can get more out of trains by using them less often, instead resorting to belts and logistics bots for medium range transportation, about 20 chunks or less.
The idea is you can belt everything in a region to a central location then train it up from there with one big train.
It's far more efficient and effective than hundreds of tiny trains, and well, factorio is literally designed to behave optimally when trains are used this way.

So to recap, there is no need to automate trains if you use them correctly and as intended.

See here

Return to “Questions, reviews and ratings”